register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 84 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 > Last »
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I generally like him. He says himself that he s constantly learning and every new dog and new case changes him and changes his approach. He's clearly a very different trainer now than in season one! Mostly I think his methods evolve and some of his basic ideas are fairly good truisms to remember and hold to.

Dogs live in the moment. They don't dwell in the past or consider the consequences.

There is no such thing as a lost cause. All dogs can be rehabilitated.

Rehabilitate the dogs and train the owners

Dogs are happiest when they have clear rules and consistent leadership.

Every dog is different and no one technique will work with all dogs, you need to remain adaptable and be prepared to try something new...

I do not condone his use of prong collars, (he doesn't give them, but will use them if the owners already have them) or with shock collars, but I can see their use if you need to train an extreme aversion such as when he wanted to train one of his intensely curious dogs to fear rattlesnakes.Plus i would agree that some of his flooding or pinning techniques would most certainly not work on all dogs, but may well be what a really strong breed like a Pitbull needs.

I voted yes
Ceefer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I prefer watching Dig Borstal which really shows you the ins & outs.
i have not seen this when is it on??

i think all advice is welcome on a variety of different programmes as at the end of the day I can choose whether or not to try it. Advice does not have to be followed but it may give me ideas that i have never thought of or even make me think "hmm not sure about that but if i do something very similar it may work". Just my opinon anyway. I so watch caeser occasionally during the afternoon - 1pm on Sky 3 I think, and think at times he methods would be useless on my dog but others there is food for thought.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I watched an episode about a week ago, he actually kicked a dog, so I have to vote NO.
Gizmoli626
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Harry25 View Post
I watched an episode about a week ago, he actually kicked a dog, so I have to vote NO.
:O which one was this on???? I've never seen him kick a dog! What was the dog doing?????
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-03-2009, 06:50 PM
I have mixed feelings about Milan, however I really don't think he would hurt a dog.

Kicking a dog sounds so emotive and cruel, when in fact it could be nothing more than pushing a dog with his leg or foot which I have seen him do on occasions, inflicting no hurt of any kind to the dog.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Boxer Boy View Post
I have mixed feelings about Milan, however I really don't think he would hurt a dog.

Kicking a dog sounds so emotive and cruel, when in fact it could be nothing more than pushing a dog with his leg or foot which I have seen him do on occasions, inflicting no hurt of any kind to the dog.

Exactly, that has always been my point with Cesar and these "kicking" allegations. It's more of contact with the foot to get the dogs attention
Gizmoli626
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2009, 06:57 PM
It's the same as the "jabbing" thing he does to imitate how a dog would put another dog in it's place. I've never seen him hurt a dog, i think he is usually the one that comes off worse. He's been left bleeding a few times!
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I prefer watching Dig Borstal which really shows you the ins & outs.
Isn't it funny how we all see things differently.

I stopped watching Borstal because it doesn't show the "ins and outs".

Even worse than Milan in that respect I think.
Mabelina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I think he's absolutely brilliant, and gorgeous too He can come train Jess anyday!
BigV
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I always enjoy dog whisperer on SKY....... I think Ceasar generally does a good job at correcting unwanted behaviour, especially with the aggressive dogs.

I'm not 100% convinced his methods are always best for more timid / shy dogs, but ultimately I don't believe he does the dogs and damage, physically or emotionally.

As for his kicking / hitting of the dogs...... well in my opinion anyone who objectively watches the show can see it is not causing physical pain, it is more an attention grabber to snap the dog out of its current mindset.

OK you wouldn't poke or prod a work mate or child if they weren't paying you attention, but we ARE talking about a DOG here not a human.

Oh, and from my personal experience...... we recently got a rescue puppy, 6 months old, and our older dog does gently nip the puppy to tell her off when she is misbehaving or being too boisterous........ and the puppy generally stops doing whatever she was doing, no harm done.

My only major complaint would be the way the show is edited to make everything look so easy and so instant - but then again all reality programs are like that really.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 84 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 > Last »