Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sinead.sheehan@
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2008, 01:28 PM

potty training a pom

hi everyone i have a lovely lil pomeranien theres just one problem she wont stop weeing all over my house shes six months old now and im beginning to think ill never get her trained any advice?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Have you done all the normal stuff, like putting her out after meals. Waiting till she does something etc etc
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I'll be watching this thread with interest as I am facing a similar problem.

Gozo, my Affenpinscher, is nearly 6 months old and still doesn't seem to get it. The expression cute but dim comes to mind.

I'm doing the same as I did with my first dog, restricting him to the kitchen in the day, taking him in the garden on a regular basis, using a cue word and rewarding the behaviour I want, ignoring the occasional accidents. It worked really quickly with Pepper so I just don't know where I'm going wrong. I notice the OP has other dogs so she must have managed it before as well.

Gozo just doesn't seem to get that the reward is for the wee.

Anyone out there with any bright ideas?

J
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2008, 03:58 PM
How often are you taking her out? I've heard some smaller breeds can be harder to toilet train because they don't like going outside. This is certainly true of my toy poodle. He hates the rain, wet grass, cold etc!
sinead.sheehan@
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2008, 04:53 PM
i have another dog whos a terrier and i ended up putting her outside for a few weeks during the summer that did the trick but ive tried that with angel and if anything shes got worse its like she waits untill i let her in then goes everywhere i wanted her to be a house dog and its driving me mad
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by sinead.sheehan@ View Post
i have another dog whos a terrier and i ended up putting her outside for a few weeks during the summer that did the trick but ive tried that with angel and if anything shes got worse its like she waits untill i let her in then goes everywhere i wanted her to be a house dog and its driving me mad
Hi Sinead I'm afraid when house training it can take longer with some puppies than others to work out what is accepted behaviour.
I don't think your puppy 'waits until you let her in to go' she just hasn't learnt that which is expected of her yet. She may also be hurrying to get back in the house to be with you.

Putting Angel out alone teaches her nothing, if she 'goes' outside I would say at the moment that is more by luck than judgement.

You really need to take Angel out at frequent intervals and to stay with her first thing in the morning/last thing at night/ after sleep/play/excitment/feeding/when she sniffs the ground and circles and about once an hour to begin with.
Take her to where you wish her to go and when she is in the middle of relieving himself add a queue word like 'beclean' so she learns to associate the word with the action, then give lots of praise and a special tip bit like chicken the second she finishes (gradually give the tip bit randomly then not at all but always give praise) . This way Angel should learn very quickly that going outside is a rewarding experience going inside isn't and you will eventually be able to use the queue word to get Angel to relieve herself on command too.

Don't scold her if she has an accident inside or she may become reluctant to relieve herself in your presence, instead clean up without a word/no eye contact making sure to clean the area well with biological washing powder to remove the scent of urine

At 6 months Angel should be able starting to have control of her bodily functions so if you stick at it you should be able to train her very quickly.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Great advice Mini! Gozo definitely won't go if somebody isn't out there with him.

Sophie, you're spot on as well, he definitely is not keen on the cold, wet etc.

So baring in mind that I'm already doing all the stuff I should is there anything else to try or should I just keep plugging away until we get that 'lightbulb' moment?

J