Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Feeding the pups

Brons babies were 5 weeks old on Sunday and although the majority of them are big strapping pups there poor eaters (you have to have a welshie to understand )
At the moment there on a complete mixed with half a tin of puppy food, pedigree puppy porridge and of course mums still going in to suppliement them.
Last night I gave Bronwyn scrambled eggs and the pups loved them they eat more than see did.
What do you feed your babies, any one use mince etc
Fank Yoo all
kachinas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Don't know if this is any help, but mine a 6weeks today, and have been eating raw since 31/2 weeks! I give them various minces, and they love it! They also have goats milk and mum is still letting them have a little suckle, I haven't tried them on egg yet, but they didn't like the pilchards!
I have given them Turkey wings to have a chew at too, they like that.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Mine are on Royal Canin Starter, mum was on Royal Canin HT42D so they got the taste of it through her milk, once they reached 2 weeks they dived into Bella's food, so thought I would try them on it, well we haven't looked back since, they also have raw chicken wings, raw minced steak and they did sneak some of their mums Tripe which thankfully didn't upset their tummies. To start with I sprinkled Litterlac milk powder over the soaked RC Starter to encourage them to eat, but they really didn't need it. They've also had raw carrots to chew on.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Brons babies were 5 weeks old on Sunday and although the majority of them are big strapping pups there poor eaters (you have to have a welshie to understand )
At the moment there on a complete mixed with half a tin of puppy food, pedigree puppy porridge and of course mums still going in to suppliement them.
Last night I gave Bronwyn scrambled eggs and the pups loved them they eat more than see did.
What do you feed your babies, any one use mince etc
Fank Yoo all
Hi Morganstar I don't like mince for weaning tinnies, it contains too much fat and can have gristly lumps they can choke on. Scraped beef is better.
I used to buy stewing steak in a large piece and scrape it with a sharp knife to produce a paste, then add a little water or puppy milk to the paste and the little ones love it. The left over piece of steak can choped and added to some chopped shin beef and used to make beef tea (cook slowly in the oven then squeeze through muslin ,a muslin nappy liner is excellent for this). This sets to a jelly like paste.
I also like to feed proper organic porridge oats thinly made with a little honey/puppy milk/an egg added.
Another good thing is to cooks some chicken thighs slowly in the oven sealed in tinfoil. pour off the juice and leave to go cold, it will set to a jelly so the fat can be removed. Take the meat from the bones and liquidize then add it to the chicken jelly. Puppies love this.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Thank you all, Ive two really small scrappies that seem to turn there nose up at everything except mum's milk Brons shattered lost so much weight I'm trying to stop her going in as much.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Have you tried goats milk? We used to soak puppy kibble with warm goats milk to make a porridge type mixture, and they used to wolf it down.
Arctic Ruth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2008, 11:02 AM
My litter were weaned on the Barf diet.
Mince, chicken wings, fruit and veg, pilchards and porridge. Along with a nice tasty meaty bones to chew on during the afternoon. Mum still fed them right up to eight weeks and the ones I kept she still continued to feed for a couple weeks after.

They loved it and were thriving on it. We've kept three of the litter and three went to new homes. All are still on the Barf diet and doing great! They look fantastic and I'm so proud of them all.

Ruth
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2008, 06:22 AM
don't know if this is correct, we used jwb liquidised with puppy milk in the blender. then weaned them straight onto chicken wings and chicken mince,
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 12:25 PM
My previous litter the pups were weaned at 5 weeks, being fed minced whole raw chicken approx 2tbls per meal 3 times a day and increased by a teaspoon each meal daily, they were also given chicken wings as a meal which I did bash a little before giving them to the pups initially as they tried to swallow them whole, this soon recitified itself and they learned to chew the wings correctly,they were also still going to mum as and when they wanted which was less each day due to being fed the meat, they had good firm stools and appeared totally satisified with this diet and developed as I would have wanted them to I did not give them any porrige or anything like that it was mum and meat straight off. The last last litter we had, due to the fact that the new owners were wary of feeding raw were weaned onto dry complete food, they were on mums milk, and supplimented with Pedigree porrige, they then went onto a good quality dry feed, although they ate with vigor I felt that they were never totally satisfied, and took longer to come away from mum, they also seemed to suffer with runny bums on the odd occassion.

mo
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 12:21 PM
mine are all weaned straight on to raw meat/bones - never yet had a 'poor doer' and fields can be fussy b*ggers too