Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2007, 05:00 PM

bad behaviour when other dogs around

Heidi has done very well with her training considering she was a late starter with her hip problems she was confined to the house and garden when she was 5 months for around 8 months, walking on the lead, waiting at the roadside and coming back when called is close to great until there is another dog around. she then forgets she is a 9.5 stone great dane and jumps around like a there are hot coals under her feet. its very sad beacuse when i see another dog coming i thin oh no!!!

any help and advice very much needed
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Not really bad behaviour, more just natural excited dog behaviour. Jake is the same, absolutely perfect until theres another dog. He just wants to play all the time. He has got better though and slow but sure he's improving. I think you'll find it'll be same for you. I always reward him with a treat and loads of fuss when he behaves as he should. If he pulls or doesn't recall etc I tell him off. Think it's just a case of presevering with what ever training method you use and she'll get better. Also try to relax a bit coz if you let it wind you up you'll just transfer that to your dog.
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2007, 05:22 PM
thats exactly the same, she does get very excited and just wants to play with everyone, she is getting a bit better i think we might try the walking away trick as ia found the stopping when she pulled worked eventualy. Its great to see her run and play free since we wondered if she could ever with her hip problems.

i will keep you posted and any tipr or tricks just let me have them
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
She'll be fine I'm sure... just excited coz your taking her to nice places.. it's all your fault ya know Just kidding by the way.. she will get better and better, keep up the good work
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2007, 12:44 PM
i had this with hector and the only way i stopped it was........

every time you spot another dog in the distance, treat your dog and at every few paces. when the other dog gets closer, a high squeeky voice from you telling your dog how good she is and continue treating until the dog has passed, then make a huge fuss of your dog.

it takes a few weeks but at least the dog is focused on you and not the other dog.

oh, make sure the treat is a high value food and only use this treat for this problem.

good luck and i hope this helps.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-02-2007, 01:04 PM
I am having the same problem with Ollie,he pulls terribly when seeing another dog only time other than that he walks really nicely,I get the treats out when we spot another dog and start trying to get him to focus on me and if there is room make him sit till the other dog has passed then lots of praise and reward it is slowly working I think we forget they are pups and only want some fun.
Off lead he has got better I invested in a training whistle and the other day he spotted two dogs in the distance I blew the whistle called him and he was deciding which way to go and decided I was the better option I was really pleased.
I do some long line training on the filed when it is quiet just to keep him on his toes only 10-15 mins most days if I can and that is also helping.
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2007, 02:24 PM
thanks for the tips guys, we made a wee break throught the other day, we were in the field and a man and his dog passed by the fence she looked at him and me and stuttered for a min or two deciding which way to go, but decided i was more fun so i made a huge fuss and played for ages. just hoping the farmer doesn't plough the field until we are behaving better!! glad im not the only one in this prediciment.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Nice one Glad she's starting to get the message