View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 09:49 AM

Problem! Eliminating inside - separation anxiety?

I have to leave Benji for about 20-30 mins maximum in the morning whilst I take Rhianna to school but everytime I come back I have to clean up poo and wee in the kitchen and its driving me mad.
I know it isn't an housetraining problem because he always asks to go outside when we are in

Is this a separation anxiety problem and can anyone give me any suggestions how to stop him doing this. He won't even go in the garden first thing and if I make him go out he just sits at the back door scratching it and yet as soon as I go out he relieves himself all over the kitchen floor

I have thought about shutting him in his crate for 1/2 hr but I am sure he would do it in there too and it would be quite a mess to clean because he would probably stand in it too and I would have to bath him then

Any suggestions anyone
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Are you just sending him out first thing to toilet? If so, you may need to go back to baby puppy training - going out with him & rewarding a performance. His desire to be with you may be over-riding his need to toilet.

I would at least try the crate when you have to leave him alone. Dogs are very reluctant to soil their sleeping area.
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 10:26 AM
I agree with SB. Pop him in the crate....it's unlikely he'll soil his own bed.
Meg
Supervisor

07-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
I have to leave Benji for about 20-30 mins maximum in the morning whilst I take Rhianna to school but everytime I come back I have to clean up poo and wee in the kitchen and its driving me mad.
I know it isn't an housetraining problem because he always asks to go outside when we are in

Is this a separation anxiety problem and can anyone give me any suggestions how to stop him doing this. He won't even go in the garden first thing and if I make him go out he just sits at the back door scratching it and yet as soon as I go out he relieves himself all over the kitchen floor

I have thought about shutting him in his crate for 1/2 hr but I am sure he would do it in there too and it would be quite a mess to clean because he would probably stand in it too and I would have to bath him then

Any suggestions anyone
Foxy I agree with the others..'won't go' should not come into it ..going out first thing should be part of Benji's morning routine and you will need to go out with him until he gets into a routine again . So go out with him and ignore him until he performs than treat/praise . Some dogs are better with a short walk, the excercise prompts them to soil. Amy knows when she has been out to 'be clean' she will get breakfast, (a keltie and a small piece of cheese) she can't 'do it' fast enough . Don't forget as Benji is performing to use some words like 'be clean', then when he has understood that you can move to saying 'be clean ' to get him to go..eventually you should be able to open the door and say 'be clean' and off he will go.
Once Benji has been out/been clean put him in the crate while you go to school .
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone I can't walk him before school because there simply isn't enough time with three of them to get off to school. I have tried going into the garden with him but he just runs back to the door again and either scratches it or sits looking up at it
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 11:52 AM
I am having to potty train Teagan again at the moment!
Since she hurt her leg, she wouldn't go outside on her own, or go to the toilet.

Now she will go outside on her own, but not go to the toilet!

I always go outside with her, and close the kitchen door, and wait with her until she goes to the toilet, then loads of praise!

Stood outside at 11:30pm is cold and inconvenient, but great when Teagan goes, and she is learning

It took about 15 mins last night, but you have to remember not to get impatient, and then LOADS of praise when they do it right.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone I can't walk him before school because there simply isn't enough time with three of them to get off to school. I have tried going into the garden with him but he just runs back to the door again and either scratches it or sits looking up at it

Everytime Teagan goes to the back door (when we are outside), I keep calling her name, so she comes back to me. Then I do a few laps around the garden, and cal her name, and she tends to follow.
Meg
Supervisor

07-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi Foxy put the lead on and then Benji can't run back..I appreciate how chaotic mornings can be..but it is worth getting up ten minutes earlier to take Benji out until he gets in the routine ..and you save ten minutes clearing up the mess
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Yes, Cassie is a little mare on a night when it's cold and dark, will sniff about squat numerous times, do nothing, sniff about again...and so on. Sometimes out there for 1/2 hour on a night, but no treats until she's gone!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
I am having to potty train Teagan again at the moment!
Since she hurt her leg, she wouldn't go outside on her own, or go to the toilet.

Now she will go outside on her own, but not go to the toilet!

I always go outside with her, and close the kitchen door, and wait with her until she goes to the toilet, then loads of praise!

Stood outside at 11:30pm is cold and inconvenient, but great when Teagan goes, and she is learning

It took about 15 mins last night, but you have to remember not to get impatient, and then LOADS of praise when they do it right.

He will go out into the garden on his own (even in the dark) as long as somebody is in the house but because he knows I am going to leave him its like he doesn't want to go into the garden at all in case I suddenly disappear whilst he is having a wee or something. I have tried leaving the back door open so that he can see I am still here but to no avail.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >