Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 01:02 PM

puppy training classes

if you dont mind could you give me a run through of what i should expect a puppy training class to consist off as I am a bit miffed with mine and I just wondered if I am being unrealistic or should change.

Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 02:59 PM
hey katy. well me and indie have done 2 puppy classes so far, and i did some with my last dog too.
So far with indie we have done: Sit, Down, recall and walking on the lead. We have been using the clicker as part of the training and been given homework sheets so we have something to work toward for the week after.
The one with my other dog was those things as well as teaching fetch, paw, stay, roll over etc etc.

What have u been learning in ur classes?
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 05:32 PM
heel! turning! and weaving through dogs! max hates it as cant stand walking round in a circle for an hour with no play or fun
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 05:48 PM
a good puppy training class should have some play time, pups need to just be themselves, they cant just learn 24/7 they have short attension spans!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 06:47 PM
at our puppytraining we started out with heel, walking "slalom" around the other dogs in the class.

ANd we always ended up with a "field search" a square was made of sticks and we would throw the rest of the treats in the square and let the dogs mingle around searching in the grass for the treats
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2004, 06:32 AM
At puppy training I would expect to be taught the appropriate tones of voice to use and the correct way of approaching & handling the puppy during training.

Exercises - Over a six week period I would expect to be instructed on how to teach the puppy to watch me; how to get the pup to come when called; how to teach the pup to stand, sit, & drop; the many elements of heeling; how to teach the puppy to have its eyes, ears, & mouth examined; & how to teach the wait/stay.

At the end of the six weeks I would expect that, with practice at home, the puppy would understand the commands & be fairly proficient at all of the above.

I would expect the instructor to be a skilled professional, & that the methods used would be based on positive reinforcement. I would also expect that, as a professional, the instructor would have a sound knowledge of canine behaviour, body language, & health issues.

Edited to add: Do you have a specific problem?