Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Insuring multiple dogs

I'm giving serious thought to cancelling all the policies, reading what a lot of us pay with more than one dog it comes to a tidy sum every month.

Putting half the money I pay for the 4 dogs in the bank every month would be a better option for me IMO.
The only down side is they'll not be covered for third party risks, Anyone know an insurance company who'll take this on ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 02:16 PM
A cautionary tale. When I moved to France I could only get 3rd party insurance for my dogs so I decided to keep up my UK insurance for them (since we were travelling back and forth anyway). The week I was coming back I spotted a lump on my GSDs belly. By time I got home it had doubled in size. It was an aggressive mammary tumour. The treatment was more than I could have saved up. She recovered, then went down with another illness. Again, hundreds of pounds.
Really, the last thing you need with a sick dog is start counting the cost of the treatment.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 03:05 PM
My last two dogs were not insured for most of their lives. I seem to remember that Dogs Trust used to do third party insurance. Failing that you may be covered on your house insurance.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I use Dogs Trust, they cover any dog you own 3rd party for the annual,membership fee.

rune
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
My last two dogs were not insured for most of their lives. I seem to remember that Dogs Trust used to do third party insurance. Failing that you may be covered on your house insurance.
Thank you, I'll have a look at that.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Most home contents policies cover third party liabilities, however, in view of your breed it may be worth checking.
Becky
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2009, 09:17 AM
I use Tesco and insure both the gingers for the princely sum of £17.94 a month. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind......
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2009, 10:52 AM
I gave up insurance last year with having 5 dogs ....pay a standing order to my vets for a while till we got over £1.500 in the account we stopped that and now just put it away

still got £900 at the vets for any future bills ...........i know the downside is big emergencies like being run over or terminal illness but then again I would never keep one of my girls going unless i was convinced of full health
ChrisCampbell
New Member!
Male 

27-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't know about the UK but I enrolled my corgi in a vet discount program (instead of pet insurance called Pet Assure, there's also another one called United Pet Care. Maybe try googling "pet insurance alternatives" or something.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
I'm giving serious thought to cancelling all the policies, reading what a lot of us pay with more than one dog it comes to a tidy sum every month.

Putting half the money I pay for the 4 dogs in the bank every month would be a better option for me IMO.
The only down side is they'll not be covered for third party risks, Anyone know an insurance company who'll take this on ?
Our house insurance said they would cover the dogs for 3rd party,we did not go into this as at the moment they have full cover. Pet Cover phoned me today saying that my starting cost would stay the same for life of dog!!! Sounds too good to be true.