Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Agility in Birmingham & Surrounding Area

Hi All,

Tashi is old enough to begin agility this summer with a view to entering higher level competition in a few years.

Can anyone please recommend a decent agility club which operates all year round in the West Mids (preferably Birmingham) area?

Laura xx
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:15 AM
If you go on to www.agilitynet.com there is a list of clubs A-Z.
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I've been looking on that same site for the same area.

I want to try Asha at it but just for fun (I couldn't handle an audience ) . She jumps over things for the sake of it and walks on walls so I think she'd enjoy it.

But with having no car and most places being out in the sticks they're hard to get to.

Plus, we'd need to work on her focus on me and her recall as with other dogs about they're none existant.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Many thanx. I've found a few in and around Birmingham with 2 extremely close to me (one fo them with a Crufts demostraion team) so I'll be contacting them.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Tashi is having her first 1-on-1 agility session this afternoon
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Kilos'-'Serenity View Post
I've been looking on that same site for the same area.

I want to try Asha at it but just for fun (I couldn't handle an audience ) . She jumps over things for the sake of it and walks on walls so I think she'd enjoy it.

But with having no car and most places being out in the sticks they're hard to get to.

Plus, we'd need to work on her focus on me and her recall as with other dogs about they're none existant.
If you want a just-for-fun class then I'd suggest looking on the APDT site - www.apdt.co.uk
I found a local trainer through it that does agility workshops just for fun, might give them a go once Casper is a bit calmer around other dogs!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Good luck with it.

Just wondering though if you are planning on handling her yourself?
At fun agility we have people with all levels of physical fitness, but if you are intending to take it seriously and to compete, won't your 'dodgey' knee hamper you? I got the impression that you have trouble walking, let alone running?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Good luck with it.

Just wondering though if you are planning on handling her yourself?
At fun agility we have people with all levels of physical fitness, but if you are intending to take it seriously and to compete, won't your 'dodgey' knee hamper you? I got the impression that you have trouble walking, let alone running?
Nope - I have a friend who will handle her in the ring. Also my Son wants to get involved and she'll work for him, no problem. Also, I have thought of training her so that she can work independently of me - where I can remain almost where I am and she gets to run on her own.

I'm only really needed to start her off with the basics. And yes, my knee would get in the way of her progressing very far. Walking is damn near impossible at times but I'm a stubborn cow and often overdo it when I'm out with the dogs. I don't see why my problem should mean that the dogs can't have fun and get involved in things they enjoy.

As far as running is concerned, well that would be a sight. I'm much bigger than most up top so anything more than a gentle jog would most likely result in a fatal head injury (or at least a facial injury).
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 01:59 PM
It is certainly possible to run a dog without moving too much yourself (our trainer does it) but not on the complex courses you would get at higher level competitions; there would be too much risk of the dog going the wrong way when there is litle space between one piece and the next (so not enough time for a clear verbal command).

I think it would be lovely if your son could handle her; agility definitely builds a closer bond between dog and handler.

Personally I'd look for a fun class rather than one that trains for serious competion (I'm sure it is possible to find one that is both, but the competitive ones around my area are not fun at all).
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Many thanx. I want it to start off as fun. I don't want either Tashi or my Son to think they "have" to do it. If it gets to that stage then there's no point.

My aim was to have fun and a giggle doing it to begin with, hopefully with a view to continuing into competition if myself, my Son and whoever handles Tashi (including Tashi herself of course) enjoy it enough.

I'm very lucky in that all of my dogs will do whatever my Son tells them to, once they know what a command means of course. And he so wants to be involved in handling.