View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2010, 08:46 AM

Guest next week - Shall I still crate Monty?

Hi all

I am looking after my sisters Black Lab Blake next week (from Wednesday to the following Monday) I am unsure though how to leave him and Monty together!

Monty is crated whenever we go out now, but should I continue to do this when Blake is there? - Blake is not crated and has the roam of downstairs when he is at home! Monty is crated as he can be a bit destructive - however when we have left him with Blake before (mainly at Carly's house and a few times at mine before he was crated) he has been fine - less bored I guess!

I am just worried that if I don't crate him he will be reluctant to go back in the crate when Blake goes home - or will he establish it is a different situation? And I guess I am a little worried he could still be destructive but I am pretty sure he won't - I don't want to stress him out by putting him in the crate and letting Blake free roam!

Sorry for the long post - Any ideas / suggestions?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 08:55 AM
If the crate is his routine, I would stick to it. I'm sure he won't object to Blake being 'free' so long as they have had plenty of time to play together and wear themselves out. If you're worried about him being destructive remember two dogs can cause much more havok if they get silly together!
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
If the crate is his routine, I would stick to it. I'm sure he won't object to Blake being 'free' so long as they have had plenty of time to play together and wear themselves out. If you're worried about him being destructive remember two dogs can cause much more havok if they get silly together!
Thanks, they will still have their normal field routine walk etc, I know what you mean by two dogs - although Blake has never chewed anything and am pretty sure he won't be led astray!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:19 AM
If they do play it might be worth removing collars when they are at home even when you are there. I have known of several nasty accidents where dogs get teeth caught in collars and nearly strangle the other dog.

rune