Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 11:56 PM

What does your dog do when you cry?

whenever anyone cries, jake always runs up to them and licks their face. and if they have their hands hiding their face, he paws at the hands and tries to shove his nose inbetween the face and hands. its so cute

my niece cries all the time (terrible 2s so lots of tantrums ) and jake is always there snuggling up to her... although when she screams, he looks at her with a very confused look on his face and then just wanders off and ignores her lol.

so what does your dog do?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 12:14 AM
He immediately comes to me, to lick my tears but also to give me some support. He does everything he knows how to make me smile.... it does take time for dogs to learn how to do that, but they do it, they are probably programmed to make us happy (if only because when we're happy that means nice things for dogs might happen). But that's symbiosis for you.

I recall seeing a certain TV trainer saying to a dog owner, whose dog did went to lick tears, that the dog sensed she was weak and that was a way of taking over and being....uh.... dominant.

Sheesh. No empathy there then or even any recognition of it.

Next would be: 'it only licks your tears cos it likes the salt.'
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
He immediately comes to me, to lick my tears but also to give me some support. He does everything he knows how to make me smile.... it does take time for dogs to learn how to do that, but they do it, they are probably programmed to make us happy (if only because when we're happy that means nice things for dogs might happen). But that's symbiosis for you.

I recall seeing a certain TV trainer saying to a dog owner, whose dog did went to lick tears, that the dog sensed she was weak and that was a way of taking over and being....uh.... dominant.

Sheesh. No empathy there then or even any recognition of it.

Next would be: 'it only licks your tears cos it likes the salt.'
ach, everything these days seems to be that they are being dominant

i definitely think they know when you are upset, they can sense it and they just want to make you happy again. its coz they love us
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Wu sits with his head on my knee.Joedee sits next to me & the others lay quietly near me. Only Reg(the tom cat)who will also sit next to me or on my knee, velvet paws my face
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Hi,

BUddy will run and hide under teh chair (where he sems to spend a lot of time to prevent being splatted by Zane or Yiannis), Ellie thinks it's a game and paws violently at hands and face, Yiannis will jump on the head of the person crying and if he can't get on their head their lap will do, and Zane will si quietly next to them and put his head on their knee.

Although the reactions of Ellie and Yiannis are amusing to see, it's as though Zane is a little wise old man who knows something is wrong. Zane will cry with me.

Laura xx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Louis brings me a toy to throw for him, I am sure he is saying "if you throw this for me it will make you feel better and if it doesn't work the first time just keep on throwing it until it does"
Scratch gets on my lap and doesn't move he just lays there and if I am lucky he will give me a lick on the cheek, he is the best tissue ever.
Jed is so cute as he is huge but he will put this head in my lap and look up at me, that always makes me laugh as she is a dopey keg.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 05:45 AM
Flynn Hides, Mav gets on my lap & kisses me, Nellie lies on my feet
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 06:46 AM
I don't know what Missy would do, I haven't had a bawling session since we adopted her. I tried a pretend one and she looked at me as if I was barking!
My first dog Spotty would sit on my lap and lick the tears up.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 07:31 AM
the girls mug me, the boys ignore me,

guess its sorta like men dont know what to do, girls go a bit OTT with love and trying to get on my lap, both at the same time, if I were to lay on the bed, they would be splat on top of me.

so all in all, its not worth crying unless something really horrid happens,
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Monty doesn't do sympathy! If I'm crying he just stands there looking at me and waggling his tail then he'll go and fetch something from his toy box and look at me with the "play with me mum" look.

The one thing he does get funny about is if Rich gives me a hug and then he has to be involved - he'll try and weedle his way into the hug so he's involved!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >