Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Whippets doing agility

There's a wee whippet that has started at our fun agility class.

She's a really smashing wee thing - I'm addicted to watching her rounds - she clears the full height jump with ease and just bounces her way round - clearly loving every minute of it.

I don't think I ever realised before how full of life and fun this breed can be.

Are there many whippets competing seriously in agility?
Bonwillan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I have seen a few Whippets doing agility some have been very careful as they went round but a couple I've seen fly around. One was at least KC grade 5. Not the easiest breed to do Agility with though.

I have also seen a lady with an Italian Greyhound who is in KC grade 4.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Bonwillan View Post
I have seen a few Whippets doing agility some have been very careful as they went round but a couple I've seen fly around. One was at least KC grade 5. Not the easiest breed to do Agility with though.

I have also seen a lady with an Italian Greyhound who is in KC grade 4.
Thanks Bonwillan. 'Careful' is how I would have imagined a whippet to do agility, but this one isn't like that at all. She doesn't seem to know how to work/trot, but bounces her way everywhere. Her owner is having a wee bit of trouble with the contacts on the A-Frame at the moment - its not a full height one we use, but the whippets first contact is almost at the top of A-Frame

I might ask her one week whether she would mind me videoing her dog and posting it on here - she really is so entertaining
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Awww bless she sounds lovely, is she from working or showing lines?? The show line whippets always seem more fragile and careful but the working whippets are nutters and fly around the place
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Oh bless her heart, hope you can get a vid of her!

We have a whippet we sometimes walk with, she is a flighty wee thing and this is one of the rare occasions that Charlie's collie comes out in him as he loves chasing her.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2009, 08:01 PM
On the whippet forums there are quite a few people that do agility with whippets and lurchers.

There used to be one that lived in our area that competed in the ABC competion at crufts. It was quite a few years ago though may be 9/10 years ago.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Awww bless she sounds lovely, is she from working or showing lines?? The show line whippets always seem more fragile and careful but the working whippets are nutters and fly around the place
I don't know, but from what you're saying, I don't she can be from show lines

Originally Posted by random View Post
Oh bless her heart, hope you can get a vid of her!

We have a whippet we sometimes walk with, she is a flighty wee thing and this is one of the rare occasions that Charlie's collie comes out in him as he loves chasing her.
at Charlie. This one doesn't seem flightly - in fact, she almost seems like a collie in a whippets body, with extra 'bounce'.

Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
On the whippet forums there are quite a few people that do agility with whippets and lurchers.

There used to be one that lived in our area that competed in the ABC competion at crufts. It was quite a few years ago though may be 9/10 years ago.
Thanks for that Freyja, I have to say she has really opened my eye to whippets, though it sounds as though she's not that typical of the breed.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2009, 09:18 PM
One of my first whippets was a tiny black race bred dog he was only 18" so was tiny compared to most. He quite happily jumped our 6ft fence and took with him my show dog. They are actually tough little dogs.

2 of my bitches love jumping they would be brilliant for agility but I don't get the time. My pups Archie and Holly the other day climbed onto my sons bike that is covered over in the garden. I looked out of the backdoor to find them standing one on the seat the other on the handle bars
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
My pups Archie and Holly the other day climbed onto my sons bike that is covered over in the garden. I looked out of the backdoor to find them standing one on the seat the other on the handle bars
ooh, i wish you'd had the camera handy for that