Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Well I think most people would agree with that one Stormey, but how to do it

There's such a lot of 'dumming down' in the media, and every news reporter knows that you can't do an interview with anyone for longer than about five minutes or the audience will go glassy eyed and nod off, it all has to be 'sound bites' or summit.

Any ideas on how to 'educate the masses' Stormey
I wish I knew, one thing would be stop acting like kids when you are ment to be debating the issues of the day, stop falling asleep when in the commons, if anyone else did that they would lose their job. These things are not major things but are enough to put people off.

Stop lying to people, In manchester at the minute they are trying to push through a congestion charge and if its passed we will get money for imporved public transport, first of all people are angry as in most peoples opinions that is blackmail. When they were giving info out they shown people from manchester saying how much it would cost and how the transport links would improve, fine its typical council spin but it turns out these were not manchester residents but actors brought up from london.

They have no agreed to a vote to ask if the residents want the charge, but instead of asking

Q. Do you want the Congestion charge brought in manchester
Yes/No

They asked,
Do you want Improved public transport in manchester
Yes/No

So you can see how its misleading.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I wish I knew, one thing would be stop acting like kids when you are ment to be debating the issues of the day, stop falling asleep when in the commons, if anyone else did that they would lose their job. These things are not major things but are enough to put people off.

Stop lying to people, In manchester at the minute they are trying to push through a congestion charge and if its passed we will get money for imporved public transport, first of all people are angry as in most peoples opinions that is blackmail. When they were giving info out they shown people from manchester saying how much it would cost and how the transport links would improve, fine its typical council spin but it turns out these were not manchester residents but actors brought up from london.

They have no agreed to a vote to ask if the residents want the charge, but instead of asking

Q. Do you want the Congestion charge brought in manchester
Yes/No

They asked,
Do you want Improved public transport in manchester
Yes/No

So you can see how its misleading.
Oh Stormey I am with you on this, it's 'spin' and media manipulation. I don't recall them needing a 'congestion charge' to bring in the light railway and IIRC that was quite a success at the time (Obviously don't know what it's like now)

OK since you've been kind enough to throw in a few ideas, how about:-
Compulsory political education in schools
Compulsory 'clocking on' in Parliament
(With attendance record published weekly)
A compulsory test at the job centre to see if applicants are at least trying to understand what democracy and politics is about
(And no I don't know how that would work but there must be a way, surely )

JMO of course
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I do think there should be some sort of political education in schools as it is something they will face later in life and I thought thats what school was for, teaching things for when they go out into the wide world.

I wouldnt mind them publishing the hours they work(they might already I dont know) as it would show the workers from the slackers. I think they should publish their expenses as this is another reason the public are turning apathetic, they are spending public money on expenses, fair enough but the public should be allowed to see what they are spending it on incase of abuse of the system.
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-11-2008, 05:33 PM
It's amazing how simaler our countrys are. I voted mcain but honestly i dont think it will matter really. their all the same.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6