Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Christine
I don`t object to smoking & no smoking areas but to ban it outright in all public places

But it's not an outright ban in all public places....it's a ban in ENCLOSED public areas - there is a big difference.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 11:06 AM
I think smoking round food should be banned.

I used to hate it as a non-smoker, and could not grasp why anyone would want a ciggy after eating. Now as an part-ex-smoker (I have done it all now), I can understand the joy of a post-meal ciggy, but still think it should not be done in public. Aint exactly fair.

As for pubs and clubs... Well... Yes and no. I don't smoke at ANY other time except when I am out (pub/club), and I enjoy it then, and then only. I think I would get used to it, and to be honest, it would probably make me stop smoking 100%, which can only be a good thing in the long run.

So, I suppose it is for the best....... I just don't like the idea of being told what to do. Freedom of choice and all that!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Inca
fridge full of stella will that do ? oh and some nice cold dairy milk
Stella??? Does she smoke then?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 11:35 AM
only when she has had a can too many hun .......
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Christine
Because its a democratic world (or countrie we`re talking of are) & it is not illegal to smoke N/M.

I don`t object to smoking & no smoking areas but to ban it outright in all public places

It`s a matter of freedom of choice to do something thats perfectly legal. Now if they want to make it illegal OK but not this.
But where is the freedom choice for the non-smoker? We choose not to take up smoking because (among other reasons) we don't want to compromise our health, but we have little choice in the matter if we want to be able to leave our own homes from time to time. Smoking and passive smoking cause hideous diseases and death, as we all know. So for someone to walk into a public area with a glowing fag spewing out its rubbish is surely doing something that is likely to cause harm to others around them and in these days of public education, with the full knowledge that that may well happen. Even if the "only" result is that someone chokes a bit on the fumes, it is still adversely affecting someone.

We can't (supposedly) get away with driving dangerously and risking injury to someone or actually injuring someone, although driving itself isn't illegal. We are prosecuted if we deliberately injure someone or cause bodily harm to them.

I think if smokers want to smoke in private, up to them and it's their health, but I don't see why I should have to make the choice between becoming a hermit or going out to live a normal life and risking ill-health and disease. That is no choice and I feel I am the one whose rights have been removed when all I wish to do is breathe the air I am designed to breathe.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
That is no choice and I feel I am the one whose rights have been removed when all I wish to do is breathe the air I am designed to breathe.
if only we could ..we talk about smokers like they are the reason our air is polluted ....for us who live in big cities with industial area's and the huge problems with traffic congestion
our air is far far from pure
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
if only we could ..we talk about smokers like they are the reason our air is polluted ....for us who live in big cities with industial area's and the huge problems with traffic congestion
our air is far far from pure
Don't I know it! And something should be done about that too but in the meantime, why add to it?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 12:50 PM
wow Inca your shed sounds great...you should open it up and charge entry!!!!
Nice to see that I'm not the only ex smoker with attitude!!! Also an ex drinker!!!! How boring am I???!!!!!!!!! I agree with previous posts that alcohol causes MANY more problems than nicotine, illness and violence included, but there's never been any question of a ban on alcohol has there? Made me think a lot that. Instead of banning alcohol, we're extending opening hours, seems like somewhere, somehow priorities have been messed up doesn't it??? Far more worried about my son giong out in town drinking when he's older than having a sly fag and much more concerned about others drinking round him when he's older than smoking....hmmm, feel like I'm not sure what I think anymore...
Maybe I need to visit Inca's shed and have a good drink and sly ciggie to help to clarify my thoughts, used to work in my pre child days!!!!
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by nemosmummy
i have my reasons for being against it, but i say the sooner they make the darn things illegal the better
christine i know its not illegal and probably never will be as the government make far too much money from tobacco but like you say "its a matter of freedom of choice"
well excuse me but where is mine and my childrens freedom of choice not to smoke and polute our lungs??

im sorry hun like i said most of you on here are considerate smokers and have no problems not smoking around others who chose not to, but the small minority of people who think it is their god given right to smoke where ever and whenever they please to me are very selfish and ignorant to the health risks it poses on others
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 12:52 PM
your all welcome am hard working today trying to connect the sky box up in there .........
Page 8 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »