Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by twix View Post
The lady mentioned that they were reluctant to get the dogs out because the side door opened out onto the motorway, not the passenger side.

The motor home has been made for Europeon roads and not UK roads, this is a big problem when you buy a vehicle not meant for the UK roads.
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Unfortunately all breakdown companies suffer when faced with something that isn't just a normal car, had a motorcycle policy with both AA and RAC neither managed less than three hours when needed, diesel car i needed to tell him how to get it started, this is despite telling the telephone operator what the vehicle was they sent wrong vehicle or service man. Breakdown cover provided by insurance companies can be even worse.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The motor home has been made for Europeon roads and not UK roads, this is a big problem when you buy a vehicle not meant for the UK roads.
Even motor homes made in this country sometimes open at the back which would make it more dangerous to get dogs out. We were talking about what would happen if one of us broke down with our car it seemed getting them out of the boot area would be very difficult alone, would be easier with two people but alone very dangerous.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Read the small print seems to be the message here. And if it isn't in the small print - ask them and find out exactly what to expect. And get that in writing. As with all other insurance policies though - I suspect the more you want covered - the more you will pay.

Lots of people take the assistance that only covers you if you are more than so many miles from home (it used to be about 3 miles) yet lots break down within that radius but haven't paid the extra to be covered even if on their own drive.

Motorhome insurance must be hideously expensive. It was high enough when I covered a VW Campervan. And though I was full comp, when a deer leapt into the front of it almost writing the front off - my premiums went up although I was not at fault because they 'can't claim from a deer' and they all use the 'knock for knock' system. I suppose I would have been covered if I'd had 'premium protection'. I've got that now. I've got EVERYTHING here being so far from family etc. and on my own. But here in Cyprus, to be covered for EVERYTHING THEY OFFER - including hailstone damage and free any driver replacement vehicle the cost is about 275 euros. I think I was paying more than that for just third party insurance on the same sort of oldish car when I left the UK 7 yrs ago.

*am surprised the KC and other 'doggy' organisations don't offer their own or recommended insurances specifically targetting dog owners, breeders and showers. Like SAGA offer travel insurance for oldies and stuff like that.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 11:22 AM
If you belong to one of the big camping clubs you can get reasonable cover through them, also if you look into insurers that farmers use they offer reasonable rates for larger vehicles too.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
If you belong to one of the big camping clubs you can get reasonable cover through them, also if you look into insurers that farmers use they offer reasonable rates for larger vehicles too.
But maybe you have to be a farmer to use that one? Now you mention it, I seem to recall my VW campervan ins. was through someone advertised in the Camping magazines.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I used NFU for my caravan insurance they where brilliant when we needed to claim.
Just reminded me will give them a call
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
But maybe you have to be a farmer to use that one? Now you mention it, I seem to recall my VW campervan ins. was through someone advertised in the Camping magazines.
No they will cover anyone with a vehicle we used one company for several years and have never been farmers.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5