register for free

Dog News

Chinese dog-eating festival outrages foreigners

Outrage on social media over an annual dog-eating festival in China has been growing every year - and this year it's trended across the world. Will the anger eventually end the practice of eating dog meat in China?
More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-32965554

More photos here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10305169.html

Your comments and views:
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2015, 05:58 AM
I doubt it..
The Chinese care little about what the world thinks of them and have no regard for life.
Just look at what they are doing in the ocean, killing coral reefs to make military staging platforms its disgusting and no one has the courage to stand up to them.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2015, 06:22 AM
Not all Chinese people live in China, and not all Chinese citizens agree with this practice. That's generalizing and IMO pretty racist. And it's not about having the courage to stand up to the Chinese government, it's about having the power to stop them.

The Chinese military outnumbers our military about 100 to 1. I'm American. There isn't anything anybody can do about their actions. Acting rash, even if you COULD stop them, could result in a massive loss of life and much destruction. It isn't worth it.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-06-2015, 10:47 AM
I believe that Chinese attitudes to animal welfare are pretty poor so I made the decision years ago to try avoid buying anything which has animal origins from China. If they want to farm and eat any animal then I have no issue with the species but taking pets is wrong in the same way as I like eating duck but would never entertain eating someone's pet duck.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2015, 07:48 PM
And they say pigs can be as intelligent as dogs and we butcher them. An interesting book on the topic "Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat" by Hal Herzog.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2015, 08:35 AM
for me its the way in which they are 'butchered'

catch if off the street keep it packed in a cage then chuck it in a pot of boiling water/hang it intelligence doesnt come in to it

i read recently that a number of very long esthablished dog meat restaurants in china had in fact closed their doors due to loss of trade
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2015, 10:00 AM
I think that they brought this festival forward last year, to avoid some of the bad publicity. I totally agree with Dobermonkey. It is the way that these poor dogs are obtained, stored and killed that is so abhorrent. I always hesitate before opening posts from organisations such as Soi Dog because once viewed you can't 'unsee' the images.

However, I do think that attitudes are beginning to change. A recent Run Free campaign asked for photo's of Beagles from around the world, each to be taken with an A4 message saying, 'I run free in ...'. I was delighted to see amongst them several obviously happy, well cared for Beagles from a variety of far Eastern countries that I associate with the dog meat trade. I was surprised to see one happy chap pictured with his owners on a main street in Beijing - where I had thought that dogs were not permitted.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2015, 02:56 AM
Pretty sick too, I've read any number of travel journals from visitors to China. If a white person is in the marketplace the vendors are sure to hiss "They are pets" referring to the caged dogs.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2015, 06:04 AM
Differing attitudes in different countries. When I lived on a small Scottish island, there was outcry re the way seals were blamed for the lower fish numbers ( reality was overfishing of course by humans) and one dear lady told me how when they were young they often ate selkie ( seals). She had an old dog she loved, so I looked at him and told they eat dogs in China.. What we eat is individual choice. I rarely eat meat now as I cannot afford much and got used to not eating it and now do not like it and yes happier that nothing has to die to feed me. But then I am old and getting more and more eccentric. And yes pigs are super intelligent. But then if they were not going to be eaten they would never have any life. One thing I still enjoy very occasionally is a bacon buttie with honey..
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-06-2015, 05:19 PM
More photos and talk of a 'cover up' here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10305169.html

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top