register for free

Dog News

'We'll smash your windows to stop dogs dying in hot cars' warn police

Oh dear summers here. When will people learn?

DOG owners are being warned they face either a dead pet or a broken car window, police say.

The stark message comes as police say they are receiving an increasing number of reports from concerned members of the public who have spotted hounds baking in parked cars.

Sgt Ryan Canning said officers have been called to a number of cases in the past few days as the temperatures soar.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/ll-s...ail/story.html

Your comments and views:
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Its like bashing your head against a brick wall this isn't it ? Good to see the police in Devon taking such an active interest lets hope all Counties will also take it very seriously.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Some people never learn do they
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-04-2015, 08:23 AM
It isn't like its not well publicised either!
Bailey-jake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Poor things.
We went to a restaurant the other day, saw a car pull up and had a dog in it, owners came in for there dinner leaving poor dog in the car. It was a hot day too.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Another couple of weeks and it'll be too hot here to take my two out in the car and they'll have stay at home when I go shopping! Leaving them for even a few minutes in a hot car is a risk I'm not prepared to take.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Also a lot of these stupid people think that by leaving their car in the shade their dogs will be ok. Well this is FAR from the truth. I avoid using the car to take Poppy out to the park in hot weather.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Here they won't smash your windows but they do take the situation seriously. The law is if someone reports or the police see a dog in a car during the warm months they will send a locksmith to open the car. If the owner returns in the meantime they'll be ticketed and have to appear in court. The dog might also be taken into protective custody until after the court date. If the owner doesn't return while the car is being opened the dog is automatically taken into custody.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-04-2015, 08:09 AM
I see a lot of older ladies doing this, leaving small/toy dogs in the car, windows closed, while they pop out for a spot of lunch. Last year I had to go to the reception of our local farm shop to ask them to tannoy the owner of a small car with a very stressed dog locked in it. Eventually 2 old ladies appeared, totally oblivious to the plight of their dog. It only takes 10 minutes for the temperature to rise to critical levels.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top