register for free

Dog News

Staffordshire bull terriers are perfectly harmless

A government minister has defended the Staffordshire bull terrier to MPs. Mr Paice went on to say that Staffordshire bull terriers had been unfairly stigmatised as dangerous dogs and that they make perfectly harmless family pets.

The agricultural minister had grown up with Staffordshire bull terriers, also known as staffies, and is backing a campaign to reclaim their good name.

Latest figures show that 8000 dogs were taken to Battersea dogs home; 3600 of those were Staffordshire bull terriers.

Mr Paice also said that ministers were expecting to announce reforms to the current law early next year in order to make sure dog owners take full responsibilty to control potentially dangerous animals.

Jane Ellsion, Conservative MP for the Battersea Borough, told the MP's:
"I fear that Staffordshire bull terriers have developed a bad reputation following a series of attacks. The animals were among the most difficult to re-home. One of the consequences of the dangerous dogs debate has been the stigmatisation of an entire breed, the Staffordshire bull terrier."

The MP urged the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) to back a campaign to rid the breed of its bad reputation.

Your comments and views:
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a step in the right direction for SBT's. I think it’s really good that we have someone in government showing support for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
witzendfarm
New Member!
Male 

25-11-2011, 11:29 AM
l think to generalise any breed is dangerous. There are so many variables involved. l would trust my dogs with my life but at the same time l would never leave them unattended all day.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't call any dog perfectly harmless but it's nice to see someone showing support of the breed.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top