register for free

Dog News

New genetic study shows origins of dogs to be Southern East Asia

A new genetic study has just been released, which researchers say confirms that wolves were domesticated by humans in an Asian region south of the Yangtze River. Researchers believe that the Southern East Asia region was the main, and probably only, region where wolves were domesticated – and hence shows the origins of dogs.

The study was carried out by researchers at Sweden's KTH Royal Institute of Technology. Data is available to show that dogs are descended from wolves - genetic, morphology and behavioural – but there has been no consensus on exactly where domestication took place. Dr Peter Savolainen, KTH researcher on evolutionary genetics, explained that analysis of Y-chromosomal DNA confirmed that it was in southern China or Southeast Asia; referred to as the Asia South of Yangtze River - ASY region.

DNA from male dogs around the world was analysed, with around 50% of the gene pool shared everywhere throughout the world. The study found that it was only the ASY region that had virtually the complete range of genetic diversity, showing, according to Savolainen, that “gene pools in all other regions of the world most probably originate from the ASY region”. Furthermore, he said that the Y Data strongly supported previous evidence from mitochondrial DNA.

The study was published on 23 November 2011 in the journal 'Heredity':
http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/va...y2011114a.html

Referring to a recent publication of archaeological data and a genetic study suggesting that dogs originate from the Middle East, Savolainen did not accept that view because the studies did not consider any samples from the ASY region. “Evidence from ASY has been overlooked,” he said.

To be thorough, Savolainen, in conjunction with other scientists, undertook an extensive study of mitochondrial DNA, with the emphasis on the Middle East. Savolainen said that there were “no signs whatsoever that dogs originated there.” The research was published in 'Ecology and Evolution'.

"Our results confirm that Asia south of the Yangtze River was the most important - and probably the only - region for wolf domestication, and that a large number of wolves were domesticated", says Savolainen.

The studies did show small genetic contributions from crossbreeding between dogs and wolves, which took place in other regions, including the Middle East. However, Savolainen explained, “this subsequent dog/wolf hybridisation contributed only modestly to the dog gene pool.”

Study brought to our attention by: MerlinsMum

Your comments and views:
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 06:43 PM
A big thank you to Merlins Mum, and to Lucky Star for posting this up.

Hopefully it may at last lay to rest the inaccurate view of some people that somehow dogs and wolves are not the same species.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Gnasher, I don't think anyone doubts that dogs evolved from some kind of wolf, somewhere, somehow. The question is What wolf, When, and How.

This new study goes some way to pinpointing the Where and possibly the Why (for food) but the exact species is still unclear as the DNA doesn't match wolves alive today.

The amount of time, plus the moulding that humans have imposed on dogs, added to the fact that there is no living wolf species that has the same behavioural patterns, is why comparison of domestic dogs to any present-day wolf species is futile and misleading.

That is what is taken into account when people say, Dogs are not Wolves. Or should it be, Dogs are no longer Wolves. Almost all canine ethologists anbd ethnozoologists have moved away from the Wolf Model, studying dogs as a separate species nowadays, with surprising and enlightening discoveries.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2011, 01:57 AM
In short the whole Alpha/pack leader crap that is spewed out (based, I believe, on the (American) Grey Wolf) is a load of rubbish!

Interesting reading, thanks LS.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-11-2011, 04:45 AM
the region they are talking about includes Thailand. I am only theorizing here but I think the original dog is the short haired brown dog that we have here and from which the Thai Ridgeback was bred from. Cave paintings have shown this dog and some think the Rhodesian Ridgeback, or rather the group of dogs that it was selectively bred from, came from SE Asia with the trade route. These brown dogs are by far the most balanced and the reason I got one myself.
It is the white and/or longer haired dogs that are less stable, maybe from some Dhole or Jackal DNA;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkaew#History

The ancestral wolves were probably more like, in appearance anyway, the Ethiopian wolf?? ;

http://ibream.org/projects/the-ethiopian-wolf/
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Well, if the whole Alpha/pack leader crap is a load of rubbish, then I shall have to ignore what I see before me in my own home every single day!

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top