register for free

Dog News

Afghanistan dogs reunited with troops

An emotional reunion took place on Wednesday 16 November, when stray dogs from Afghanistan were reunited with the US soldiers who had befriended them while deployed there. The stray dogs became beloved companions, their unconditional love helping the US service members cope. It would have broken their hearts to have to turn them back onto the streets.

The British charity Nowzad Dogs, founded by former British Royal Marine Pen farthing, who served in Afghanistan, oversaw the huge operation where 14 dogs were flown by American Airlines from the Middle East to JFK Airport, New York. Waiting to greet the dogs were the US soldiers, overjoyed to see their loyal dogs again. What followed were hugs and smiles, excitement and relief at finally being together again. Petty Officer Zachary Henning had waited two months to be reunited with his dog, Gus. “He helped me survive out there and now I’m going to give him a home and allow him to survive now.”

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7388643n

Sergeant Pen Farthing adopted his dog, Nowzad, while serving in Afghanistan. Seeing male dogs used for dog fights and discarded on the streets, he set up the animal rescue group, Nowzad in Kabul, to try to save animals in Afghanistan and reunite them with service men and women throughout the world. The charity has recently formed a partnership with American charity American dog Rescue to help bring more strays to the service men and women who looked after them.

Speaking of his gratitude to American Airlines, Pen Farthing said: “Getting these dogs reunited with the soldiers is why I started this. I know what my dog ‘Nowzad’ meant to me – I could not leave him behind – he was my comfort during those dark cold nights in Afghanistan where normality did not exist. It is a testament to the character of the US soldiers concerned that they have shown compassion in such a brutal place as to rescue an innocent animal from the chaos. We can do no more than help them in return”.

For more information, or to donate, visit the Nowzad website: http://www.nowzad.com/2011/11/operat...rican-reunite/

Your comments and views:
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Just wonderful..........
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 10:13 PM
What a fantastic story.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top