register for free

Dog News

Jumbone dog biscuit “long lasting” claim “mere puffery”

The Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) investigated a complaint from a dog owner, who said the Pedigree Jumbone advert claims were misleading because the chewy biscuits were devoured in “under one minute” by his dogs and not “long lasting” as the advert suggests. The Jumbone advert shows a dog finally giving up on being able to eat the treat.

The dog food company, Pedigree, responded to the ASA by saying the advert was “light hearted” and that most consumers would regard the “long lasting chew” claim as “mere puffery”.

Pedigree argued that “long lasting” meant “several minutes” and in comparison to softer treats on the market, their chewy treat was longer lasting. They advised that during testing, the treat lasted 3 minutes and 21 seconds on average, across all sizes of the product.

It was acknowledged that no specific time for consumption was given in the advert and the dog owner's complaint was not upheld.

Your comments and views:
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Some people will complain about anything ..lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Actually I bought them once for my dogs, assuming they were hard chews. They were demolished in 10 seconds.
Any dog having problems eating one needs a dentist!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:59 PM
You will never win against big business, no matter how genuine your complaint
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2011, 08:01 PM
You win by refusing to buy any of their products, once bitten twice shy and all that.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 09:12 PM
im with murf, some people will complain about anything, you only have to look at the chews to see that they are not rock solid.

i used to give pedigree jumbones to my 2, but then noticed that xeva wasn't tolerating them (ran straight through her) so only rawhides for her now which incidently (depending on what one it is, if its one with noughts on the end only last her about 20 mins, with a little bit left for when she feel like it next time )
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I always laugh when I see the ad any self respecting Beagle would have one eaten in seconds
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-11-2011, 09:29 PM
I suppose you could say it was a complaint about nothing but Nippy has made a good point, big companies (Pedigree is part of huge multi-national corporation) employ many highly paid marketing people to get inside the minds of their customers and the sub-liminal messages that they rely on, and which are taken on board by so many stupid humans, really annoy me. What is more have any of you noticed how the advertising breaks are getting longer and more frequent?
Mala
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2011, 10:05 PM
My dog has weedy little teeth and would take ages to eat one of these. But I won't buy another because the ingredients mean it's like eating solid wallpaper paste and it just starches all the fur around her mouth. The principle ingredients are rice flour, sugar, glycerine and cellulose powder......
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 12:01 PM
I also bought one ages ago expecting it to last Rupert longer than 30 seconds. IMO it is misleading to advertise it as long lasting when the average time taken to eat it is less than 3 and a half minutes!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top