register for free

Dog News

Dog walking prescription

Heart patients at Harefield Hospital, Middlesex are being prescribed dog walking to help with their recuperation. The 'Hounds help Hearts' collaboration between the Cardiac Rehabilitation Team and Dogs Trust is the first of its kind in the country. Part of a wider initiative, 'The Dog Prescription', it will involve patients in their final phase of recovery from heart surgery being taken to the local Dogs Trust to walk the dogs.

A senior nurse at Harefield, Linda Evans, explained:

“Walking is one of the best forms of exercise for patients recovering from a cardiac event and what better way to do it than alongside a grateful canine companion.”

The Dog Prescription highlights the mental and physical benefits of dog ownership and interaction for a “healthy and happier lifestyle”. With these benefits in mind, The CEO of Dogs Trust, Clarissa Baldwin, hopes that the medical profession will encourage patients to engage with dogs.

Your comments and views:
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I`m not sure walking Daisy and Prince would be that good for anyone with a heart condition . I could lend them Shamus though.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-11-2011, 11:08 AM
What a good idea and you never know it may lead to some rescues getting new homes.

At C&D I Ollie would not of been a good comapnion either he was ok till he took a dislike to another dog.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Brilliant idea. My FIL just had a heart attack and he's walking his Westie daily (as he did before) to aid his recuperation. I think it's healthy for everyone to get out in the fresh air daily anyway, good stuff
kitkatkathy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2011, 04:17 PM
My dog would probably give them a heart attack, instead of recover x] shes as mad as a hatter.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top