Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nikie
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Nikie, you fail to see the point, the slap is still a painful stimuli, so by saying the slap is appropriate you would be saying it is okay to physically hit your dog
Maybe a trip to specsavers is due

Originally Posted by Nikie View Post
Thanks emma, I think that is a good example of how operant theory is misunderstood.

Operant learning explains how any animal learns because of the consequences of its own behaviour, learning will usually have occurred within 3 repetitions of the same consequence under similar circumstances.

If I/anyone went into a restaurant & waited a few mins and then ‘ordered’ the food and at that point you got slapped, you would have learned that your own behaviour of ‘ordering’ the food would cause you to be slapped, it would ‘weaken’ your own behaviour of ordering that food under other similar circumstances to ‘avoid’ the positive punishment of being slapped.

The stimulus perceived causing the slap would be that your own behaviour of ‘ordering’ the food (the point you got a slap) caused the slap not the food itself, that’s the misunderstanding.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 09:23 AM
You like my theory, I was using it as painful stimuli being an appropriate measure.
Operant learning explains how any animal learns because of the consequences of its own behaviour, learning will usually have occurred within 3 repetitions of the same consequence under similar circumstances.
Operant learning - slap
the consequences - a slap
Learn that it is their behaviour created the slap within 3 reps.
Not so blind

And I think you will find that Minihaha, was actually talking about your posts being almost verbatim of other peoples work and if you are going to do that, you need to post the site you pulled it from.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Oh and welcome to Dogsey
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 09:38 AM
what`s that got to do with dog training then?
Nikie
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2010, 09:45 AM
B F Skinners 4 operants, ref, The Behaviour of Organisms 1938 (& other b f skinner writings)

1. Negative punishment anything which weakens a behaviour
2. Positive punishment anything which weakens a behaviour
3. Negative reinforcer anything which strengthens a behaviour.
Positive reinforcer, strengthens a behaviour

The above are Skinners 4 operants in full, there are there are no variations which constitute operant learning theory.

Non operant, irrelevant misinterpretation
Something Good can start or be presented;
Something Good can end or be taken away;
Something Bad can start or be presented;
Something Bad can end or be taken away.
Ref
http://www.wagntrain.com/OC/
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 12:10 PM
B F Skinners 4 operants, ref, The Behaviour of Organisms 1938 (& other b f skinner writings)

1. Negative punishment anything which weakens a behaviour
2. Positive punishment anything which weakens a behaviour
3. Negative reinforcer anything which strengthens a behaviour.
Positive reinforcer, strengthens a behaviour

The above are Skinners 4 operants in full, there are there are no variations which constitute operant learning theory.

Non operant, irrelevant misinterpretation
Something Good can start or be presented;
Something Good can end or be taken away;
Something Bad can start or be presented;
Something Bad can end or be taken away.
Ref
http://www.wagntrain.com/OC/
I am unsure of what you are trying to prove from this??
What do you think e-collars are grouped in?
I gather you support them, but using Skinners operant conditioning, you may be interested to know Skinner didn't actually approve of adverse stimuli being used, because he found they didn't work as well. The hidden reinforcer has just been covered up with conflicting adverse stimuli.
Really good reading........Taken from this site -
http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/skinner.html

We can argue all we like about where e-collars fit in the operant groupings, but the fact is e-collars cause a painful stimuli to motivate, to try to get the dog to stop its behaviour.
It is a quick fix more than anything and the more research I do on this the more I see it as the easiest way, not a matter of the best way.
There seems to be a short-sighted opinion of how well it works, when used compared to the long term ability of it to be effective without having to increase beyond the 'lowest setting' and in my opinion it is because it is masking the behaviour not correcting it.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Cool post's Niki, your saying what I'm thinking lol.

The 3 consequences thing is very common in dog training, often you'll find that on the 3rd repition the dog gets it and just needs to repeat the practice and be distraction proofed. If the training is any good of course!

Adam
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2010, 12:24 PM
All this operant stuff is too far from plain English for me to remotely comprehend (could you not use less jargon or perhaps I just need a zap to aid my concentration eh? ) but that date leapt out at me.

Are you saying that you are using methods of training over 70 years old!
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post

The 3 consequences thing is very common in dog training, often you'll find that on the 3rd repition the dog gets it and just needs to repeat the practice and be distraction proofed. If the training is any good of course!

Adam
Adam, you come across as a very young man to me, surely you should have a more up to date attitude than someone who was an adult in 1938 as Nikie appear to be.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post

Adam
Yep---that follows Especially if it is Denis.

Be very careful AP----you REALLY don't want to go that way. Lou is bad enough.

rune
Page 32 of 77 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 42 > Last »