Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 11:36 AM

A non barking dog.

Have any of you come across a dog who never barks. In all my years I have always had the opposite problem but my neice has taken on a rescue dog,who in the two months they have had her has never barked. She squeaks with excitement at times but no other noises. The bitch is fairly small & looks like a cross between a brown lab & a whippet to me. They were told she was a collie cross but as she was a stray found on the street, I think this might be because of her enthusiasm for learning & her desire to please. She is nervous when she has done something wrong & cowers in her bed so I think she has had some harsh training at some time. Sorry for long speil but they are anxious about her not barking & I can't help them on this occasion.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Give her time - it does sound like she has experienced harsh treatment and maybe she was harchly treated when she barked before. Time is a great healer.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 12:38 PM
One of my English NEVER barked - we tried to teach her to speak without any success at all! She obviously didn't feel the need to communicate that way She was perfectly happy in everything just never needed to bark with excitement or frustration!

It might be that she just doesn't feel its necessary? But perhaps with time she will feel secure to 'talk'?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 01:05 PM
My rescue Kip never used to bark. Very, very ocassionally he would give an odd sort of bark - probably sounded strange because he was never using his vocal chords.

However, after 3 1/2 years of pretty much silent Kip, we got Hoki. Since she has joined us, Kip has learnt to bark from her!

We don't know Kip's background, but I am pretty convinced by his demeanour that he was harshly treated and probably beaten for barking.

Personally I liked having a dog that didn't, though I would never have put him through his past experiences to achieve this.
running cloud
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2007, 02:38 PM
My Northern Inuit Tala is now 4.5 mts old and dose not bark at all, she howls when upset about something but all she has managed to date is a huff sound once or twice. Barking has never been a problem for our GSDs but the NI runs away when they bark. She dosn't like it at all!!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 02:44 PM
My Sister in Law has a rescue dog that we have never heard bark!
She didn't even bark when she was in the pound before they got her.
She doesn't even bark when someone knocks on the door!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Inka does'nt bark but Kain does, yet Kain does'nt like it when other dogs bark at him he cowers away when they do.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 04:39 PM
it took ages for Bruno to bark when we got him at 1 1/2 - now he never shuts up !!!! LOL
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 11:08 PM
My older dog only barks if she hears an odd noise, like the dishes falling in the sink and no one is there or the other night the ice was sliding down the sky light window and it was making a scratching noise. But other than that nothing. Not even if someone knocks on the door. Chance on the other hand is very vocal, ecspecially when we are playing or hes being praised.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 11:14 PM
we had a white boxer we was looking after while his owners was away,well this dog,took a bee sting to the back leg and it swoll something rotten and i took him the vet,in the 2 weeks i never heard him bark,till that day, in the vet OMG when he opened his mouth the squeakest squeak id ever heard in my whole life popped out,i swear it took me a minute to see were the sqeak came from,no wonder he didnt bark that often
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >