View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 06:31 AM

White boxers (health problems/ deafness/ culling / breeding )

I was reading a letter posted on dog rescue on line from a STUPID WOMAN who is advising people not to buy a white boxer as she says THEY ALL come with health problems (cack) she made me so angry she goes on to say that a responsible breeder would cull these imperfect animals at birth I know of lots of white boxers all great dogs, is this woman colour prejidist ?does she not realise that the original was white mind you you DO still get some breeders of course THESE people are ALL dog lovers ( I dont think so ) that do still get rid of whites as co-ordinator of boxer rescue the breeders make so so ANGRY these same dog lovers want NOTHING to do with rescue THEY SAY that there is no need for it I WISH but thats a different story my god I must have got out of bed the wrong side this morning its only 6.30am and I,m off already.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Some people should think before they type ! White boxers are lovely and the two we know are as healthy and bouncy as any other boxer. It's a good job we don't cull stupid posters or she might be first on the list
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 07:46 AM
If depends on how you feel about the information you have. The gene for some white coats also has the gene for deafness attached; now it may not effect all dogs but there is a much stronger chance than in a brindle dog. So how responsible it is to breed from a white dog depends on the breed, with a Dalmatian you have no choice, they are all white, even so you should not breed from a dog without testing and knowing that the background as far back as possible. With Boxers there is a choice, and if all breeder did their best to avoid breeding dogs with either white or deaf in their background then that would go some way to avoiding the likely hood of deaf puppies being bred.

Whether or not culling is needed depends on how many irresponsible breeders there are in a breed producing either deaf or deaf carrying dogs. If the people within a breed are strict about breeding from animals carrying the gene for white coat/deafness then the incidence within the breed will fall if not it will increase, there is a limit to how many good homes are available to take deaf dogs, when the number of dogs exceeds the number of homes such dogs will either be kept in rescue kennels or PTS.

If does not matter if the breed was originally white, we now know there is a connection in the Boxer between the white coat gene and deafness, so it is up to us to be responsible and try to eliminate the problem from the breed and not to encourage the breeding of dogs with a health problem.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2005, 08:10 AM
most breeders, if they get a white boxer in their litter will test the pups hearing before being rehomed, which is the responsible thing to do.

Responsible breeders do not breed from white boxers. Only those who are looking to make money on them do.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 08:22 AM
That is good to know Carole and much as I would expect from those who are responsible in their breeding programmes. Do they also stop using any stock that do produce a deaf pup, do hope so.
There was a time just after the first 1001 Dalmatian film came out when one particular breeder was not only turning out as many pups as possible but was not testing or taking health into consideration at all. Have heard it said that this particular breeder single-handed managed to increase the problem of deafness in the breed and that has lead to a good many otherwise sound and satisfactory dogs being removed from the breeding pool
Carole
Supervisor

17-01-2005, 08:39 AM
that I am not sure about Thordell.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

17-01-2005, 10:56 AM
I wouldnt advise people to buy a white boxer.
I own one, so I speak from experience. I dont think the answer is to cull them at birth, I think the best solution to the problem would be to change breeding patterns so that fewer whites are produced in the first place, but then I repeat myself as ive allready said this on another thread. I know some can be ok and have no hearing or health problems, but some can, so why take the risk?
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

17-01-2005, 11:33 AM
I dont think Scottish Boxer was referring to breeding white Boxers just that the original post she was angry about was dont buy white Boxer pups and that they should be culled at birth.

The thing is to eradicate the white Boxer from the gene pool would require I BELIEVE the stopping of breeding flashy Boxers (which are in demand and win many shows) Shadow Boxer if I am wrong I stand corrected.

But Breeders are prepared to stop the breeding of the flashy Boxers and as such whites will always occur.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

17-01-2005, 11:51 AM
where is the post Scottish boxer is talking about? I have looked on DRO and cant find it? what section is it in?
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

17-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I dont know Iv never heard of Dog Rescue online.
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »