Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Topsey
New Member!
Female 

30-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Intriducing a new puppy with an exsiting dog

Help please, i have just taken ownership of a cavalier king charles spaniel x yorkshire terrier (dog) as a companion for my two year old westie (dog - neutered). I would appreciate some advice so i don't get into bad habits thinking i am helping when i could be making matters worse.

Nelson the westie, is a very kind considerate and playfull dog, and since we moved house has been a little lonley and missing his other doggy friends, so we decided he needed a companion.

They seem to be getting on OK but do engage in prolonged sessions of playfighting, Hardy the puppy is taking the submissive role.

Is this normal, should i ignore it ,or split them up?

Should i take them out for walks together?

How much attention should we give to the puppy, without making Nelson jealous.?

Any tips or advice is welcome

Thanks

Topsey
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2007, 11:53 AM
If they are playfighting then it seems things have settled well. All you need to remember is Nelson came first so let him be pushed out in anyway. Feed him first, fuss him first etc then you shouldn't have problems with jealousy issues. They're is no problem walking them together. You don't say old the puppy is though so remember the rule of 5 mins walk per month of dog. It would still be nice to have separate walks with Nelson anyway keeping that little one to one time. Sounds like they are getting on great. In regards to play fighting, perhaps calling a time out now and again might be in order just so they know when it's okay and when you want them to settle.

Good luck
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi Topsey and welcome to Dogsey

When you introduce a new puppy into an established dog household it is normal to introduce them initially on neutral ground like out in the garden (you need to take care where you go if the puppy isn't yet vaccinated), then to take the new puppy into the house first and let it have a look around and put it's scent about before bringing the older dogs back in, then ignore both of them all (watch them out of the corner of your eye).

You have already got over the first introductions without any problems so it looks as if things are going well.

I would remove any toys that might cause a fight and feed in separate rooms to begin with, also don't give individual attention to the puppy in front of the other dog.

Older dogs normally make allowances for puppies and as long as everyone has space to escape they will normally sort any squabbles out between themselves.

How old is the puppy is it vaccinated, if so walking together is an excellent way for the two dogs to get used to each other. With the playfighting it is a matter of keeping a discrete eye on them and ignoring them until things settle unless you really feel someone is getting hurt
Topsey
New Member!
Female 

30-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, i will be sure to follow it.

Hardy is 14 weeks old and fully vaccinated,
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2007, 12:51 PM
if your pup has cavalier trates he will find fitting in very easy they love to please
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't think you'll have any problem. A wee while in the garden to get aquanted then leave em to it.. they'll soon sort things out themselves.. Obviously keep an eye on em but don't worry too much, they'll be just fine