View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2018, 10:41 PM
I virtually always sticked and flicked ... only when walking on pavements did I pick up. On the beach I dug a deep hole and buried ... below the high tide mark or pick up above it.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I virtually always sticked and flicked ... only when walking on pavements did I pick up. On the beach I dug a deep hole and buried ... below the high tide mark or pick up above it.
Not generally an option where we mostly walk. Near a school, near playing fields and children's playgrounds.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2018, 10:21 PM
If you are walking along a hedgerow though it makes for good fertiliser!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-12-2018, 12:33 AM
If you are walking along a hedgerow though it makes for good fertiliser!
Most of the hedges round here are in private gardens. Not sure how the owners would react........
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Most of the hedges round here are in private gardens. Not sure how the owners would react........
Good point!! Round these parts you would likely be locked up by the dog poo police!! The fuss that is made over a bit of dog poo is ridiculous Ghastly to step in agreed, but the dangers are highly exaggerated and hysterical in my opinion. There we are, twas ever thus!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2018, 02:30 PM
http://www.doodycalls.com/resources-toxic-dog-waste/

Just one site. There are hundreds if not thousands of others.

As an owner I pick up religiously and get extremely annoyed by the owners that don't especially when I tread in the damned stuff while picking up after my own dog.

Burying on the beach - a big no no. Tide comes in, brings the stuff to the top then goes out again. No guesses as to what that leads to when children play on the beach usually barefoot
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2018, 07:20 PM
It is not wise to throw dog poo into any hedgerows that border agricultural pasture. This has resulted in cattle contracting neosprosis, which can cause illness, and lead to pregnant cows aborting.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-12-2018, 10:54 PM
Good point!! Round these parts you would likely be locked up by the dog poo police!! The fuss that is made over a bit of dog poo is ridiculous Ghastly to step in agreed, but the dangers are highly exaggerated and hysterical in my opinion. There we are, twas ever thus!
Here, the notices tell you it's a fine of up to £1,000. So you try to be diligent.

Put talk about a needle in a haystack.........

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
http://www.doodycalls.com/resources-toxic-dog-waste/

Just one site. There are hundreds if not thousands of others.

As an owner I pick up religiously and get extremely annoyed by the owners that don't especially when I tread in the damned stuff while picking up after my own dog.

Burying on the beach - a big no no. Tide comes in, brings the stuff to the top then goes out again. No guesses as to what that leads to when children play on the beach usually barefoot

I beg to differ. Of course in common with every other decent person I know the dangers and unpleasantness of dog poo. Where appropriate I pick up; in woods I stick and flick. In rural areas I stick and flick - not on agricultural land used for grazing animals, but on the set aside areas around fields where crops are grown. Stick and flick deep into the hedge to allow nature to do its very efficient job of decomposition and return to the soil.

On beaches I dig a VERY DEEP hole below the tide line and bury - too deep to do any harm. On the massive miles long expanses of Holkham, West Wittering, Poppit Sands, Overstrand, Putsborough etc. etc. etc. the chances of a child just happening to dig that deep down into the sand just over the spot where I have buried my dog poo is zero. In any case, we only ever go on beaches in the winter with dogs so no chance of an enthusiastic little person excavating anything undesirable!

The use even of biodegradable plastic bags is very unfriendly - much, much better to dispose of in the way described above. however, the problem remains on pavements and in towns - unfortunately I can see no solution other than to use a poo bag - although even in towns there are always opportunities for responsible sticking and flicking.

It is totally disgusting stepping in dog poo and totally unacceptable wherever this may be. In woods I stick and flick not only my own dog's poo but others I come across.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2018, 09:35 AM
As a PS I should have added that round here we have notices in woodland telling us to stick and flick, not to use plastic bags to pick up. Very sensible - and the area in question composes of not just woodland but agricultural land too - admittedly not grazed by livestock, I do agree that one should pick up in livestock fields.
Page 11 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >