Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Suefergie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2014, 09:25 PM

Padding

My dog keeps getting a blanket or any type of soft cushion and holds it in his mouth whilst padding. Is this normal behaviour?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 10:41 PM
I have heard that this type of behavior can come from being removed from their mother too soon, sibling not allowing it to suckle as it needs to, or it's mother abandoning it/not caring for it properly. It can also be random.

Here it's called "kneading" and it resembles a puppy or kitten suckling from it's mother and using it's feet to press the milk out. It's normal enough and with a young dog, he may grow out of it. Totally harmless.

For my cat that does this, I have designated something for her to do it on and she's totally content with it.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2014, 12:25 AM
We've had several cats that did that, charmingly called "making muffins". Callie does it too and mouths blankets...it's a comforting behavior.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Yes all normal behavior, my boy does it, its simply a comfort to them, just like a baby sucking on a dummy.
Suefergie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Thank you for your help. My dog is nearly two and wasn't removed from his mum until he was 10 weeks old so maybe she pushed him away too early. I do think it's quite sweet but have only ever known cats to do it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Suefergie View Post
Thank you for your help. My dog is nearly two and wasn't removed from his mum until he was 10 weeks old so maybe she pushed him away too early. I do think it's quite sweet but have only ever known cats to do it.
I doubt it, its just one of those things some dogs do it some dont.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2014, 12:08 PM
My large cat has to have his "suck" every day.. That litter was taken too early and this is his comfort. His sister licks instead.. wakes me by starting to wash any bit of me she can access.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Something sweet to watch some years ago. We had a mother cat who lost her maternal instinct after the birth of her kittens. She would stay in the nest long enough for a quick feeding and then disappear for hours at a time.
Cesar was a mellow tom cat who took over kitten sitting. He would climb in the nest of mewing kittens, wash each one and settle down and let them suckle his belly and chest fur. They all grew to follow him around even as adults. Special guy he was.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Aha the 'noo noo'. My boy does it as do members of his family (dad's relations). Lots of dobers do it. As did a friends lab