Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2014, 07:57 PM

Dogs & flats in hot weather

Hi, I am worried and just wondering if there is anyone else in the same situation as me who can maybe help/advise.

Me and my dog Bentley live in a ground floor flat. The only outdoor space we have is a strip of communal grass at the back but lots of the other residents have benches/washing lines there so I've never let Bentley toilet there.

Bentley normally comes to work with me (boarding kennels) but the six week school summer hols is our mega busy period so there just isn't any spare kennels for staff dogs so he can't come again until early Sept. Three days a week he goes to my parents house in the day and the other two he stays home alone.

In a work day our rountine is as follows:

6.30am - approx. 30 min walk, half on lead and half off lead. Come back and left with dry food in a Green feeder and frozen Kong with wet food in.

1pm - come home in lunch hour for 15 min toilet walk. Change water for fresh and put ice cubes in it. Bentley left with another frozen Kong with frozen baby food in.

4.30pm - home from work, Bentley gets 15 min toilet walk. Then we do some ''low energy'' play/games in the communal garden in shade, bits of training etc.

7pm - proper walk over the fields for approx 1 hr. This is maybe half walking and the other half hour spent playing around in the stream as it's still quite warm.

11pm - very quick 5 min toilet walk.

My problem is the 1 & 4.30pm walks .. today I had a lady come charging out her house at me ranting and raving about having Bentley out in the heat. Said shes seen me ''dragging that poor dog'' past everyday and she's had enough (like I say, Boo goes to my parents 3 days a week so it's only 2 days a week we do the lunchtime and late afternoon walks). I know it's too hot at these times to be having dogs out but what do I do?? Bentley needs chance to toilet obv.

I can't avoid walking past this womans house as the other direction is just down a private farm track but I am already dreading tomorrow as I don't want her shouting at me again.

I don't take water on the short walks as Bentley never wants it... but I do damp him down with cool water before/after and when we get back to the flat he has an Animat cool gel mat and a fan set up on the floor to lie in front of.

I do worry about taking him walking when it's hot but just don't know what else I can do. It's our first summer in this flat with no space directly near flat where I can take him to toilet.

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Sounds like you are doing as much as you can I suppose I could say dogs and flats not ideal but I am fortunate in that I am home all day and have a house and garden.
Maybe if the opportunity arises explain to this neighbour that Bentley is with your parents more days than not.
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2014, 08:25 PM
No maybe not but we had to leave previous house (ex's) asap and a flat was the only thing I could afford to rent on my own on minimum wage.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-07-2014, 08:35 PM
I totally understand and I think you are doing amazingly well.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2014, 11:03 PM
That sounds fine to me. I live in a ground floor flat too with three dogs! I have a communal garden area which I use to allow my large puppy to play in and do training etc. So really he's not missing out on anything he wouldn't if we had our own garden, apart from space maybe.

But yes, exercise needs to be done daily and unfortunately if you have limited garden space ( my older two dogs do not toilet in the garden at all either ) then you have to get out and yes, that may be during the day at peak temperatures. I walk mine regardless of weather and they've never had a single problem as I'm always careful to stop in the shade etc.

I'd ignore your nosy neighbour and feel reassured that you're doing everything right for your dog and that's all that matters
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanku Dogloverlou......... that makes me feel better. Xx
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Everybody has an opinion, but only you know what's right and what you feel is right for your dog.

You are doing the best you can for your dog and don't let anyone put doubt in your mind that you aren't.

This weather isn't ideal no matter what the circumstances, but you are doing your best - well done!
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2014, 09:31 PM
i can't bear people who butt in like that , oh to be the perfect owner with a perfect dog ! don't feel guilty i'm sure if you felt it was wrong you wouldn't take him
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Hey Emma,

Tell your nosey neighbour to get a life! After all, what would she do - let Bentley pee in the house instead of taking him out?
That's what I'd be inclined to ask her if confronted in that way.

I used to work in kennels and my dog came too except during the mega busy spells just like you. It makes things difficult for a short spell but you are really lucky to be able to take him the rest of the time. (I'm sure you know this).

Keep up the good work
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Fourlegz View Post
Hey Emma,

Tell your nosey neighbour to get a life! After all, what would she do - let Bentley pee in the house instead of taking him out?
That's what I'd be inclined to ask her if confronted in that way.

I used to work in kennels and my dog came too except during the mega busy spells just like you. It makes things difficult for a short spell but you are really lucky to be able to take him the rest of the time. (I'm sure you know this).

Keep up the good work
echoing this.. some people! You are doing great, you really are.
Hard but ignore her. Do not let her rattle you like this. Lucky dog to have you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >