Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 07:08 PM

Accosted by a taxi driver last night

Ok, sorry this is quite long, but here goes....

We live in a dead end road. Four cars park at the top, there is a turning point and up to 5 cars can park on one side of the road leading up to the turning point. The road is quite narrow so with cars parked at one side of the road means it's even narrower and cars can just about make it up to the top of the road, where we live. Outside of our road is a main road through the town. I hope you can imagine this as it's important to what happened last night.

Last night I was signalling to turn right in to our road when I spotted this taxi driver parked on the road beside the first parked car, obviously I couldn't get up the road so I waited for him to move, meanwhile cars were piling up behind me. It was busy last night as it was the last time the QE2 was to visit my town before leaving to become a floating hotel in the Jumeirah port in Dubai.

I waited for a couple of minutes and still the taxi driving didn't exit the road to let me in. He seen me very clearly but carried on fiddling with his GPS system and showed no signs on moving. So, at 10.50pm I beeped once. He looked round and still didn't move. Folk were beeping at me, I couldn't go anywhere.

I moved over to the main road pavement (it's a wide pavement and nobody was about apart from one woman who was out with her two dogs (on lead). I waited a few seconds to give him another opportunity to move as he clearly knew I wanted up the street. I checked my watch again to see that it was 10.56 at this point (before the 11.30pm curfew on beeping) and beeped one small beep again.

This guy came marching from his taxi over to my car and banged madly on my window. I asked him could he please move as I wanted up the road. He shouted that do I know what time it is and that I shouldn't be beeping my horn. I said it's 10.57 precisely and that it was still legal to beep my horn, I wasn't beeping excessively and that taxi drivers pamp at all hours of the day and night, we've heard them several times.

He asked me why I wanted in the street, I said it's really none of his business but I live there and wanted up the street to park. Still he carried on shouting abuse at me about the 'little kiddies' in bed, and I said if you had moved to let me in the street I wouldn't have had to beep in the first place. He kept on screaming abuse at me that I can't even remember everything he said, but the woman who was out with her dogs shouted at him to leave me alone, that he's nothing but a big bully and that he was well of order as I had done nothing wrong.

I phoned my grandfather who was actually out at the top of the road with the dogs for their last piddles and he would be right down after he put the dogs in. He asked the taxi driver what the problem was and the carried out shouting at me and at my grandfather and by this point I was in tears. My granpa told him that either he moved his car or my granpa will move it for him and phone the police. He said he was just about to, at this point, so he went and reversed on the the main road (which is illegal, if he wants to go down that route!).

He pulled in to the laybay and half on the pavement and got out the car and still went on at us. The woman got his badge number and I got his car registration.

We all went in home at after that and my granpa phoned the taxi company to complain and they said to put it in writing, which we're in the process of doing as he was nothing but as aggressive bully.

The only thing I did wrong was to beep twice while stationary, and both beeps were small beeps, not ongoing ones and I did not feel safe getting out of the the car. I had my doors locked.

In hindsight, I should've just stayed on the main road and let the cars pile up behind me and inform them by a gesture that I couldn't go anywhere as the taxi driver was blocking my entrance to where I wanted to go. If the taxi driver came over I should've just said that either he moves or I would phone the police.
But hey, it was an experience for me and I'll know should it ever happen again, but it really upset me last night.

Thanks for listening folks, sorry it's so long!
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Whers part 2?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by catsta2001 View Post
Whers part 2?
Just added on now, posted too early accidentally the first time! Sorry.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Awww what a idiot. I can imagine how frightening it was. Glad the woman with dogs was about, also your Grandpa.

Chin up Lady.
xx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Oh no - Poor you...horrid experience
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by catsta2001 View Post
Awww what a idiot. I can imagine how frightening it was. Glad the woman with dogs was about, also your Grandpa.

Chin up Lady.
xx
Thanks, I actually was a bit scared as I didn't know if he'd do anything or not. He was a big guy.

All he had to do was go up and turn and back down and come out to let me in, then he could've sat back on the road. I only wanted in my street, it wasn't an unreasonable request.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Crikey what an Ar*e Glad your ok, definatley complain about this Idiot.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
Crikey what an Ar*e Glad your ok, definatley complain about this Idiot.
I was shaking like a leaf Hayley, and yes, he's getting reported.

I know I have to toughen up a bit as I'll likely come across much worse than that, but even son, it was quite frightening.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-10-2008, 08:04 PM
I have had a similar experience a couple of years ago with a Taxi driver being abusive except I gave him what for back.
Hormones can sometimes be very useful.
Hope your feeling better let us know the outcome of reporting him.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I have had a similar experience a couple of years ago with a Taxi driver being abusive except I gave him what for back.
Hormones can sometimes be very useful.
Hope your feeling better let us know the outcome of reporting him.
Oh, I told him to leave me alone, stop bloody shouting abuse at me and that taxi drivers think they own the roads, that was when I was in tears. Maybe I shouldn't have said the last part but it's true! They do! Well, the ones here do!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >