Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2010, 01:55 AM

Horrible Taxi Service!

Yesturday i was going to the train station with my friend and Milo and thought we would get a taxi as we have with him before and its been no problem as he was on my knee.

I rang up my usual taxi company and asked if they allow dogs in the cars if theyre kept on your knee. She said yes but some drivers wont allow dogs in the car as they don't like them she'll have to check if someone who likes them is available, she then comes back on the phone....

Lady: What breed is it?

Me: Staffordshire Bull Terrier, he's only 4 months old and well behaved and quite happily sits on my knee in the car.

Lady: *tells someone in the background* sorry we don't take Staffys.

Me: Why not?

Lady: Because of their bad reputation.

Me: He's 4 months old he's hardly going to rip the drivers leg off is he??

Lady: Sorry we don't let them in the cars because of their reputation for biting.

Me: Ive never been bitten by a SBT but i have by a lab, golden retriever and border collie... you still take them do you?

Lady: Yes just not staffys.

Me: *some very choice words and puts the phone down*

Rang another taxi service who said it was no problem, so they'll be getting all my service from now on.

I understand some taxi companies wont take dogs but not taking one certain breed and when hes only a puppy and not exactly a threat. Got me SO mad, this is the first time i've had this i'm sure i've got it to come but wow i didnt expect i would get that mad.

Most of my family members would have loved me to get any other breed then a SBT, OH's family dont like him because of his breed and have even said they dont really want him in the house once hes fully grown ... i guess i'm just going to get more protective of him the more abuse he gets

Anyone else had this for their breed?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 02:20 AM
I used to have real problems getting a taxi with Rupert. I was limited to black cabs or mini buses because he's too big to sit on my lap and trying to find a driver who'd allow him in their cab was a nightmare. I had even more problems getting a taxi driver who'd have a dog in the cab AND be willing to drive to a supposedly rough part of Manchester.

Rupe's a mutt so breed has never come into it, just species and size. My age has also come into it. Young person (I was 21) with largeish dog travelling to a rough part of town in the evening, sorry, can't take you.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 04:19 AM
You can take dogs in Taxi's?

I know you can take them on buses and I once had to go to PAH with a rottie I walked - got some funny looks - but I suppose it's how people are. It's like racism or homophobia - typical discrimination!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post

I know you can take them on buses and I once had to go to PAH with a rottie I walked - got some funny looks - but I suppose it's how people are. It's like racism or homophobia - typical discrimination!
It's up to the taxi company to decide. I used to travel by taxi to the train station/vets with my rats a few times, they travelled in cat carriers so I usually said it was my new kitten, they seemed happy enough with that so I thought I wouldn't risk them freaking out at the idea of rats in their car There was one taxi driver I used to get quite often if I went to the taxi rank at the station to get home who I did tell about the rats though and he went from being a bit scared of them to asking me all sorts of questions and asking me how the rats were doing when I used to go rat-less!
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post

sadly the proud staffy has become the weapon of choice for morons and decent owners will pay the price until something is done, maybe a freeze on breeding or legislation to have to a muzzle in public which would drive the morons away, lovely dogs but sadly misused.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 06:57 AM
My husband's a taxi driver &, much as he loves dogs, he won't take dogs in his taxi either, not even our dogs!! My car broke down this morning at the local park at 5.30 a.m. I had quite a job persuading him that it was bl***y freezing he needed to collect me & the dogs. He was far from happy & I've just had to hoover the boot!

The reason is the hair ~ it's the devil's own job to get rid of it, even if they sit in the boot (he's got an estate), or on a lap. He can't then go & pick a commuter in a suit up from the station if the back seat's covered in hair.

He will take animals in carriers though, including small dogs. But he's been taken in by others who said the dog will sit on their lap & it ends up bouncing all over the back seat, or if it's in the boot is drools all over the back of the rear seats. Once the taxi is dirty he's then got to take time out to clean the taxi, all the time losing money.

It's exactly the same with drunks ~ New Year's Eve & Beer Festivals are the worst. Only once has he taken a young couple, the girl being very drunk, & she threw up in the back & he was out of work for the rest of the night.

So I have a lot of sympathy for taxi drivers. But there are special services in our area like "Pets to the Vets" that will take animals.

But it's nothing to do with breed ~ just hair!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 07:40 AM
When asked what Daisy is (I take a lot of Taxis) I reply - `she`s the size of a smallish Labrador`. This confuses them and they assume she`s a cross. I also point out that she sits in the footwell and is no bother.
Taxi drivers either like dogs or they don`t. Doesn`t bother me - they don`t want my money, I`ll give it to someone else.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Thats such a shame. I know its the drivers choice but Im sure a small staff would make a lot less noise and mess than a drunken saturday night reveller!
I've not used a taxi with Tilly where I live now but when I lived in Brighton, I never had a problem. In fact I had a lovely driver one wet friday night when I had to take Tilly to the emergency vets which was out of town. The driver was fantastic and kept checking the whole journey to see she was ok. He then left me his mobile number and said to call him when we were done. He told me on the way back that he's stayed in the area as he didnt want us to wait to long. Then he left the meter off and just charged a couple of pounds for petrol. A real star! So there really are some fantastic drivers out there.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Thats such a shame. I know its the drivers choice but Im sure a small staff would make a lot less noise and mess than a drunken saturday night reveller!
I've not used a taxi with Tilly where I live now but when I lived in Brighton, I never had a problem. In fact I had a lovely driver one wet friday night when I had to take Tilly to the emergency vets which was out of town. The driver was fantastic and kept checking the whole journey to see she was ok. He then left me his mobile number and said to call him when we were done. He told me on the way back that he's stayed in the area as he didnt want us to wait to long. Then he left the meter off and just charged a couple of pounds for petrol. A real star! So there really are some fantastic drivers out there.
This made me smile I like drivers that show a bit of compassion - I may have to try the taxi with my dogs, theres only really Benjie who leaves fur everywhere - I am going to shave him - Our back seat is covered in it and I hoover it out every week and even when a seat covers on it still manages to get on the seat
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
My husband's a taxi driver &, much as he loves dogs, he won't take dogs in his taxi either, not even our dogs!! My car broke down this morning at the local park at 5.30 a.m. I had quite a job persuading him that it was bl***y freezing he needed to collect me & the dogs. He was far from happy & I've just had to hoover the boot!

The reason is the hair ~ it's the devil's own job to get rid of it, even if they sit in the boot (he's got an estate), or on a lap. He can't then go & pick a commuter in a suit up from the station if the back seat's covered in hair.

He will take animals in carriers though, including small dogs. But he's been taken in by others who said the dog will sit on their lap & it ends up bouncing all over the back seat, or if it's in the boot is drools all over the back of the rear seats. Once the taxi is dirty he's then got to take time out to clean the taxi, all the time losing money.

It's exactly the same with drunks ~ New Year's Eve & Beer Festivals are the worst. Only once has he taken a young couple, the girl being very drunk, & she threw up in the back & he was out of work for the rest of the night.

So I have a lot of sympathy for taxi drivers. But there are special services in our area like "Pets to the Vets" that will take animals.

But it's nothing to do with breed ~ just hair!
I agree with the above-I have 2 non-moulting breeds and always mentioned that to the taxi-driver. We used to book a taxi regularly to dog training classes when my husband worked nights and had the car. Cherry or Parker were well-behaved too and just used to sit in the front passenger seat footwell. Not everybody's dogs are well-behaved and if they are taking someone to a special event with nice clothes on they won't be too impressed if they end up covered in dog hairs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >