Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Springador
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2008, 04:15 PM

my legs hurt so much

I do agility with my dogs but just lately my shins are killing me, I have been doing this for over a year so no idea why they hurt now.
Anyone else suffer with this, and any solutions, I dont want to have to give the sport up.
rottiedad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2008, 04:25 PM
u havent shin splints have u and have you tried arnicare cream they do this for loads of different things cuts and sores bruises etc
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 04:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints
exactly what I was thinking
I have a friend who does running and he had problems with these but he is fine now

You will need to rest, I would consider a sports physio to give you the best treatment
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 04:45 PM
My immediate thought was shin splints too.

After rest it is worth you investing in a really good pair of trainers that will absorb more of the shock on impact.

I got shin splints years ago, playing basketball in a cheap pair of boots. I bought a more expensive pair and after a bit of rest, I never had any further problems.
Springador
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Can anyone recommend a good pair of reasonably priced trainers, I was also told hiking boots were good for agility.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 12:59 AM
I would go to a decent running shop
Even if you dont end up buying from them they can give you lots of advice, I went in there a couple of years back and they spent ages watching me walk and sorted out some great shoes that sort out my fallen arches problem

then I went on line and found the same manufacturor does trail running shoes, extra grippy for running on grass and I got a pair for £30 which was great!!

Deff worth talking to them - these people know about running and the ranges of shoes are mind boggling
liz08
New Member!
Female 

11-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Definitely look into a good pair of sneakers or running shoes in case the pain is something like shin splints, that would be associated with not having enough support. And make sure to stretch and rest as well. You might also look into the Arnicare cream, as that can really help with pain and soreness like that. It's great to have on hand anyway because it's good for such a variety of pains.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 05:39 PM
i had these in the summer when i ran 2 dogs, for 5 days at a comp on hard ground. After some rest i was fine...definately invest in a pair of cushioned running shoes..or football boots are good for grip on outdoor surfaces.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 07:08 PM
I have loads of probs with shin splints. best thing is to just rest them and maybe put ice on them. i go to the spa a lot to relax the muslces in my legs and that helps loads