Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
choco9595
New Member!
Female 

12-11-2006, 10:46 PM

Lurcher Training!

Hi can anybody give me advice on Lurcher training?
Do they usally perform well at agility etc?

Kirsty
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 09:44 AM
I don't own a lurcher but would imagine they would make great agility dogs, being so fast and agile. Give it a go
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Depends what is in the mix - if it is a trainable dog then they can be FANTASTIC just some of the houndier types may not be so great off the lead.
I've seen some awesome lurchers at shows though and most dogs LOVE it!
choco9595
New Member!
Female 

13-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I know he knows his basic commands but he like a live wire then suddenly hes FAST asleep! Typical Lurcher!
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

13-11-2006, 10:52 AM
If he is a collie cross then you should be OK, but I think some of the other crosses would leave you standing looking for them disappearing in the distance. But if I were you I'd certainly give it a try. Kath
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

13-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Have to agree with Muddiwarx and Kath, but give it a go and see what happens. Gppd luck .
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Some Lurchers are phenominal at agility, some would just look blankly at the lowest jump
Some Collies are phenominal at agility, some would not so much look blankly at a jump but might flip a paw with an ` I think not` expression.

You won`t know til you give it a try

[ I`m an Agility instructor with 4 collies and a Lurcher, two of my collies love agility, one can`t do it on disability grounds, one has the ` I think not` attitude to it, and my Lurcher thinks agility is the best thing since sliced bread so to speak ]
Ko-Lady
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2008, 01:43 AM
I have a lurcher and im sure that he is intentionally daft, well that or ignorant. havnt quite decided yet. he can do basic commands but the call back technique is soooo lost on him. weve been at it for 2 years now and he only comes back occasionally. dont get me wrong i have months where he does it everytime and then nothing. i guess its part of the reason i love him but seriously i find him to be the most frustrating breed ive had. i did have lots of luck tho with the clicker training, it worked a treat for basic commands.