Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2012, 03:49 PM

Maddie's first agility session today!

Maddie has been very excited today as she is just turned 18mths old and is going to her first agility class tonight!! She is very good at park agility when we are out always jumping onto the walls to walk along them and jumping over the park benches! I hope she will like it!! Just hope she's not scared of the other dogs as she's always been timid! Hopefully this will help to bring her out of her shell
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 04:25 PM
have a great night - let us know all about it
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2012, 06:08 PM
She's sat at the front door waiting to go and keeps coming over and looking at me and then going back to the front door. I keep telling her we dont need to set off for another 10 mins yet!!
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Hope the agility went well for Maddie and she really enjoyed it.

CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 08:56 PM
My thoughts on the agility.

Well yesterday was actually a familiarisation to see if the dogs were suitable for taking the beginners agility course. The other dogs consisted of 4 collies, a labradoodle, a labrador, a lovely wire-haired visla with a very impressive beard, a Lakeland and a white crossbreed. After a brief wait the trainer began talking to us new people. She asked if anyone had done obedience and a few said they hadn't, so she told them she was effectively teaching children to teach children then in that case?! (the group were all aged mid 20s to late 50s). The suitability test consisted of walking around in a square and then doing a sit and recall from about 2meters. While we had one side of the enclosure the advanced class was going on in the other half behind a makeshift fence an there was a little jrt being handled by a young girl of about ten. The little dog frequently went racing off after other dogs doing the course an was barking in their faces. I have been to this club before with charley an I remember this dog doing it then so I know it happens frequently. At one point it even managed to crawl under the makeshift fence into our section an the girl luckily managed to grab it an pull it back. Anyway while we were all filling in the forms a big comosion could be heard from the other end of the enclosure an this dog was in a scrap with a much bigger dog. Everyone reacted in the way that really annoys me saying oh that little dogs been attacked etc! The girl was crying her eyes out an some people managed to get the bigger dog off an the little girl an her dog left for the vet. It annoyed me how everyone blamed the big dog when they all clearly saw how the jrt was behaving. I felt very sorry for the owner of the big dog! Anyway rant over, not sure what I think of this club now??

On a brighter note apart from some barking mads behaved very well so I was pleased with her at least!
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Maddies thoughts on the agility

Some of the other dogs looked very big an scary but i tried my best to be brave! I made one friend i liked her beard and she had long velvety ears nearly as long as mine! Mum said she was a wire haired visla. I was very sad that they didnt let me go on any of the equipment because it looked so fun! In the big boys an girls class they were running round the obstacles very fast. I want to do that one day! Also two dogs had a fight. I didn't like that an i was scared!
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Oh that's rubbish Im sorry Maddie was disapointed

I had my first agility lesson last night too and max loved it, we had a go at all the obstacles

I was going to go with a club that offered a six week beginner course but found it too serious!

I've joined a group now that does it for fun and I've found them really welcoming

Maybe look for other clubs in your area
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm going to see if I can find any other clubs in my area. One that does it for fun like yours might be better. We didn't feel that welcome
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I looked for a club rather then these dog businesses that offer courses.

I found mine out from going to a charity fun dog show, they dont make any money really from it as the money from classes go to renting where it takes place and for equipment.

I have to pay a £10 joining fee then £4.50 a week pay as you go.

I had to go on a waiting list but if was worth the wait
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Have you asked any of the agility trainers if they do one-to-one classes?

It does cost more, but if you feel the group sessions aren't for you, then you will be surprised at how much they can learn in half an hour. If you only ever want to do agility for fun, and not compete, then your dog doesn't need to get used to being in a group anyway.

I've been doing 1-1 classes with Merlin for 4 months now as not only does he not like other dogs around, but the lessons are at a more convenient time for me. We both love it, it's the highlight of our week, and he can do some pretty complicated stuff now, especially with regard to turns and fairly advanced jump set-ups.

I didn't quite appreciate how much he loves it until I took a friend along with me a few weeks ago as photographer, and the photos spoke for themselves - a dog having a whale of a time, happy as larry, he really did look the business!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >