Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Differences !

I've begun doing some scent work with Lily, holding her near me, throwing some treats in the garden, releasing her to find them. 5 mins of this and she's tired out

She's really good at finding them and very methodical in her search, as we've just started she watches where I throw them but as the grass is quite long she then has to sniff them out. She air scents to get close, she then sweeps her nose side to side through the grass to fine tune her search and locate, she's really very good at it. Obviously all this is done at 100mph

I thought I'd try with the others Poppy is very gung ho about her search and almost totally relies on her eyes to find them, she uses her paws to move the grass so she can see the treats!!

Kiara, who was the brains of the outfit but is quickly being outdone by Lily She relies on her eyes too but will the put her head down and sniff through the grass to find the treat.

I know that sight is the first sense they use as it's the least tiring, nose being the last but the differences between the breeds is quite fascinating to watch - they all found the treats eventually but Lily is definitely the quickest and most organised searcher

I then upped the ante and threw 2/3 treats at a time all quite close together and I found that Kiara has retained her intelligence crown as she's the only one that can count

I did this one dog at a time but when I finished, let them all out to find the ones they missed and Lily swept the garden side to side while Pop n Kiz just haphazardly went from tuft to tuft

I really enjoy watching them doing something constructive and seeing the differences in how they work stuff out and even better they're all fast asleep on their beds now
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Sounds good. Ive done it a bit in the house with phoebe and she uses her nose mainly. May try it out at the field obce shes a bit better
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Strangely, Jake doesn't use his eyes at all, he is all nose! The item he is searching for can be in plain view, but if he can't smell it, he really struggles. He is very good at finding things I've hidden though.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I know that sight is the first sense they use as it's the least tiring, nose being the last but the differences between the breeds is quite fascinating to watch - they all found the treats eventually but Lily is definitely the quickest and most organised searcher
Where did you get this idea from?

A dog gets the majority of its information about the world via its nose..................
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I play this game with my two and Shambles, more often with a toy instead of food.
Shambles appears to mainly use her eyes and has her nose quite high.
Teg uses both but mainly nose.
Hocus could nearly stand on it and not see it but is very led by his nose.