Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
What did he mean by other bitey dogs there don't see the point of that?
He meant that he had to be firm with the dog for not keeping with the owner and "going off doing its own thing". However, although the dog was being naughty and running away it never went near any of the other dogs at all.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by dixondog View Post
If they are happy to treat their dog like that in public I dread to think how they handle it in private! Disgusting! Can you find out if they trainer is part of any organisation then report it to them and the rspca
I thought this too-poor dog. I know we can all get a bit frustrated sometimes with our dogs when they have their "naughty heads" on but if you are behaving like this I think it is time to give up and find another hobby.

I don't know how I would find this out? I did report it to the RSPCA but I am feeling a bit negative about this as I now from experience they don't always follow complaints up.

I think I may contact the stables owner to complain as she is the one renting the stables to them so should now how dogs are being treated there.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 10:14 PM
I have just thought of one good thing about tonight-I am so glad that I took Parker and not Izzy. I was going to take Izzy but Jamie suggested it would be better to take Parker as I have had him a lot longer than Izzy.

As some of you know Izzy is quite nervous of some people after her previous owner kicked her. If she had gone near this "helper" and she had said "NO" to her and waved her away with her arms like she did Parker it really wouldn't have helped her issues about trusting people not to scare her.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
He meant that he had to be firm with the dog for not keeping with the owner and "going off doing its own thing". However, although the dog was being naughty and running away it never went near any of the other dogs at all.
Ah right no excuse at all
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 10:29 PM
How awful and upsetting for you. Poor dog too.

It is supposed to be enjoyable for dog and handler. No wonder the dog doesn't want to do it and runs off.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2011, 11:07 PM
There is no way on earth I could go to any kind of class with Guinness for the foreseeable future because of his fear issues with people.

However, I think if I had been there, I would have been asking for my money back and leaving after watching what happened with the Cocker Spaniel.

And if any so-called trainer tried grabbing Guinness by the collar and dragging him around, it wouldn't be what he would do that they would have to watch out for, it would be what I would do!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
PLEASE PLEASE can you take your Baruska to this club and get her to misbehave! (yes it would be a long drive!) Thanks for your supprtive comments.
A long drive yes, but we have planned it, and may do it next year when they get used to the motorhome.

Telling the owner of the stables may (or may not) help but I would agree with the idea, you never know they might put something in the rules to make it clear mal-treatment is not accepted.

As you say I think it unlikely the RSPCA will do anything but if it goes in their 'record' book and there's any trouble in future it will be bad for the trainner etc.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 02:30 PM
I have just contacted my old agility trainer to see if she has a spare place on her course as although it is more than twice as far and more than twice as expensive I think it is worth it for peace of mind. Fortunately (for me, not for him!) someone has broken their leg and can't come until after Christmas. After then she wil be juggling the classes around so we can continue.

I wouldn't have thought of changing clubs but the night we go changed and I thought I might as well go to a much nearer one if I had to go on this particular night and not the normal Tuesday. I have been taking my elderly Mum shopping on a Wednesday night for years and she doesn't adapt well to change bless her.

I explained the incident at the club, she said she knew this club was heavy-handed but she was shocked when I described what had happened. Apparently the "trainer" in the class I was in has a civil partner who works for the RSPCA so what so you reckon the chances are of a follow-through to my complaint?

I will be writing a strongly worded letter later and posting it to the club care of the farm.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Ah right no excuse at all
No not really and I think he knew that when I challenged him on it.

Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
How awful and upsetting for you. Poor dog too.

It is supposed to be enjoyable for dog and handler. No wonder the dog doesn't want to do it and runs off.
Yes but they called it being naughty

Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
There is no way on earth I could go to any kind of class with Guinness for the foreseeable future because of his fear issues with people.

However, I think if I had been there, I would have been asking for my money back and leaving after watching what happened with the Cocker Spaniel.

And if any so-called trainer tried grabbing Guinness by the collar and dragging him around, it wouldn't be what he would do that they would have to watch out for, it would be what I would do!
Good for you! If I had taken Izzy and someone had grabbed her by the collar she would probably bite them. Fortunately I didn't have to pay anything as you get the first 4 weeks free and then sign up to direct debit payments every 4 weeks. This is to see if you enjoy the class, Funnily enough it only took me about 15 minutes into one class to realise I didn't enjoy it.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by dixondog View Post
If they are happy to treat their dog like that in public I dread to think how they handle it in private! Disgusting! Can you find out if they trainer is part of any organisation then report it to them and the rspca
I have physically reprimanded my dog in public, doesn't mean I beat him up at home? It just means I'm consistent and don't care what other owners think of the way I train my dog. I recently had a self righteous collie owner give me sh*t for raising my voice to Dino - lucky he has a ball obsessed dog eh?

Just lucky for the other owners they don't have my dog, else they'd have one VERY out of control GSD.

I agree agility training should be fun for the dog, and they have gone about the wrong way training it. An activity like that shouldn't be trained with aversives, defeats the purpose!
But physical corrections DO have their place in dog training - I take slight offence at the fact you say anyone who does this would do much worse in private! (Granted I would never fling my dog in an agility tunnel - but I do scruff etc.)
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >