View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Valid point; same as having training sessions that are too long; at any age.

That is one of the DOWN sides of 1:1 training, a dog may actually be doing far too much;

A friend of mine used to share a 1:1 regular session for just this reason........
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't think it has to be a problem physically---but mentally it could well be---which could well be why he he is swiching off---too high an expectation on him.

We used to compete at a year but it was wisely changed and I think a full course under competition conditions is too much for some dogs.

How does he compete at a year?

rune
He doesnt, as i said in my post I have taken him in the training ring at competitions, which is next to all the other rings.
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Valid point; same as having training sessions that are too long; at any age.

That is one of the DOWN sides of 1:1 training, a dog may actually be doing far too much;

A friend of mine used to share a 1:1 regular session for just this reason........
The bulk of the 1:1 lesson is with my other collie, it usually starts with my bitch then my young boy will come out for 10-20 minutes and then i will get my bitch out again.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
Almost every dog I know is far more excited at shows than in training. Just like the line always heard in a toilet queue .... " he never misses a contact in training but at a show he just doesn't get them ".
Both mine are much more hyped by the show atmosphere.
I mainly train on my own so where possible I try to put my boy dog in a class as it's the only time I can hope to pull him off a contact with a view to correcting and reinforcing. Personally I would try to get him into a class, not easy I know or maybe get a group of friends together and hire some equipment.

Doing small segment work is great and will help. Do you ever drive him on to the tuggy on the floor and then catch him up and play tuggy so he doesn't always look to you for the reward? I put mine on the rugby cones that players use for kicking rugby balls, it lifts the toy into the dogs vision and also makes it easier for the dog to pick it up as it lands.
Haha, how true that line is.

The problem is with the tuggy is if it is thrown or ready waiting for him on the floor then he picks it up and wanders off with it, shows absolutely no drive for it and is reluctant to give it back, but when i do get it he is very reluctant to tug.
Im beginning to think i should start using a plastic bottle (the ONLY thing he is and always has been crazy for!!)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Why not, it is the DOG that decides what is rewarding and punishing!
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:37 PM
I've not been to a show (KC) that will allow a year old dog in the training ring, normally they will only allow dogs that are entered, they want to see the ring card, ok you could cheat and use another dogs, but I wouldn't. My pup is just a year and 3 weeks, she's doing really short training sessions at home, 5 - 10 minutes at a time about 3 times a day as many days a week as I can (usually 3 or 4 days). I'm not in any hurry to get her to competition standard, she won't be 18 months until October and I don't go to any shows over the winter anyway (I have horses that take alot more looking after over the winter), so she won't come out until maybe next Easter, so maybe just before she's 2 years old and that will only be if she's ready.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:40 PM
How about threading a tuggy through a plastic bottle? Funny how they love the silliest of toys, my girlie will die for a bottle. The other thing I've heard that's worked for some dogs is something Lee Windeatt did on the first training day I did with him. He had a line of 4 jumps with quite long spaces, the handler went to the end of the line with the toy. Trainer/friend held the dog and wound them up whilst the handler called the dog. Trainer/friend released the dog and the handler carried on calling the dog waving the tuggy at them, followed by a game of tug.
Could be worth a try.

The other thing I know someone had success with was putting marmite on the tuggy, guessing that could be a bit messy though! Lol!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
I've not been to a show (KC) that will allow a year old dog in the training ring, normally they will only allow dogs that are entered, they want to see the ring card, ok you could cheat and use another dogs, but I wouldn't. My pup is just a year and 3 weeks, she's doing really short training sessions at home, 5 - 10 minutes at a time about 3 times a day as many days a week as I can (usually 3 or 4 days). I'm not in any hurry to get her to competition standard, she won't be 18 months until October and I don't go to any shows over the winter anyway (I have horses that take alot more looking after over the winter), so she won't come out until maybe next Easter, so maybe just before she's 2 years old and that will only be if she's ready.
I thought someone would pick up on this. I realise its not usual for a kc show to have this, but this one did, i was not asked how old my dog is or whether i was entered, if i had been of course i would have told them the truth, but i wasnt so i didnt. There was also no mention in the schedule or at the show of any rule stating this. Therefore i didnt break any rules
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
How about threading a tuggy through a plastic bottle? Funny how they love the silliest of toys, my girlie will die for a bottle. The other thing I've heard that's worked for some dogs is something Lee Windeatt did on the first training day I did with him. He had a line of 4 jumps with quite long spaces, the handler went to the end of the line with the toy. Trainer/friend held the dog and wound them up whilst the handler called the dog. Trainer/friend released the dog and the handler carried on calling the dog waving the tuggy at them, followed by a game of tug.
Could be worth a try.

The other thing I know someone had success with was putting marmite on the tuggy, guessing that could be a bit messy though! Lol!
Seeing as i hate marmite i think i will pass on that one lol, definately think i will give the bottle a go on thursday at training though!
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2011, 01:27 AM
I never get mad at Remmy for doing the zoomies, in fact sometimes I don't even try to stop him as I know he will not pay attention till he has done his thing. So maybe, it is not stress related as he so obviously is enjoying himself and the spectators just love it.

It even helps a bit in the Gamblers class where it does not matter what obstacles you take, he probably makes more points zooming around than he would if I directed him. He is up to Masters Gamblers as he is great for sending out to the obstacles in the finish.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
I never get mad at Remmy for doing the zoomies, in fact sometimes I don't even try to stop him as I know he will not pay attention till he has done his thing. So maybe, it is not stress related as he so obviously is enjoying himself and the spectators just love it.

It even helps a bit in the Gamblers class where it does not matter what obstacles you take, he probably makes more points zooming around than he would if I directed him. He is up to Masters Gamblers as he is great for sending out to the obstacles in the finish.
Was that aimed at me? He doesnt do zoomies
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think yoiu quite get what I was saying re the course at the show.

No you shouldn't have done it, more the fault of the show than you though. Basically you are going to fast for him and you will end up with a slow burnt out dog----or a confused slow dog.

Seen it so often in the past.

rune
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >