Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Aww thank you!! x
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at getting into agility too. Not expecting the Lilly-dog to be particularly good at it, as she's really not all that fast but I'm hoping it will be more mentally stimulating for her than just walks and that it will be good general training for her. We've been waiting until her health settled (she was havin fits) before we started so now we are just waiting for a beginners course to come round. My Mam also wants to do it with her mini-poodle but she feels she is too old to do the running around (More Power to the person in their 70's doing this!) so we are hoping to join the same group and I'll run both dogs. Dandy could have potential IF he actually listens to me.

We are also starting Flyball next weekend.

I'm a massively competitive person though, and I could see myself in future, if I were to be bitten by the bug, looking at a breed more suited to agility, although, no offence to them, I can't see myself with a BC.

Saw some agility and flyball at Crufts and it seemed massively dominated by BC, I left very much with the feeling that if you wanted to be good and didn't have a BC then dont bother. Feelin a bit better now I know that some comps have the ABC
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I do get a bit bored seeing mostly collies doing agility, especially competing. I think collies are the perfect fit really, a good balance between speed and size but they wouldnt be my chosen breed for agility. I'd pick a slightly smaller, lighter working type Aussie Shepherd but I do prefer the heavier show type for looks.

Flynn had a bash at agility in his younger days but I didnt stick at it for long, it clashed big time with his already excitable nature and made him uncontrollable. If I had the control though he would've been fantastic as he has the speed (not much in it between my small collie bitch and him) and the athleticism to clear obstacles effortlessly. He can also turn on a sixpence (even without a tail!) so cornering wouldnt have been a problem neither. However, he is slightly built compared to most male HPR's. A Vizsla might be a good candidate as they are fairly small in size and have a lighter frame.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm hopefully going to be doing agility with Jake. No way he would have the control atm, but I've just signed up for an 8 week clicker course, and if that is ok, he will be going on to an advanced 4 week course. If he passes that, he can start agility. I'm sure he will love it, just hoping he can get through the courses!
Bonwillan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I do agility with my Beagles. Which goes to show any dog can do Agility. This year we are competing in the Championship Classes. I know that we don't have a cat in hells chance of doing anything. Its just the fact I have got up there through hard work, I think that why not have a go, you never know we might just ruffle a few feathers.

Hopefully we will have fun along the way. I will certainly be the only one who's dog lets out a big howl everytime she is on top of the 'A' frame
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Bonwillan View Post
I do agility with my Beagles. Which goes to show any dog can do Agility. This year we are competing in the Championship Classes. I know that we don't have a cat in hells chance of doing anything. Its just the fact I have got up there through hard work, I think that why not have a go, you never know we might just ruffle a few feathers.

Hopefully we will have fun along the way. I will certainly be the only one who's dog lets out a big howl everytime she is on top of the 'A' frame
id love to see that
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Any dog can do it if they have the drive - there was a chi that used to come to our class he was super and a weeny Yorkie went I learnt with my Irish.

If a setter can do it I'm sure any dog can ha ha!

good luck and have fun - go on those cresties can do it!!!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6