Our sister sites
Our sister sites
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2010, 09:12 PM

Distance sit etc

Hi all,
After a really frustrating day when Loki seemed to have forgotten everything he had ever learnt he has finally (about half an hour ago) learnt 'lie down' so that I can stand and use the hand signal and word. Hurrah!!

Re-enthused, I began to wonder how you go about getting them to do it at a distance.

He's beginning to get a reasonable 'stay'. I can leave the room and return and he'll still be waiting for me, but if I put him in a stay or wait then say 'sit' or 'down' he runs up to me and then performs the action! Presumably to get closer to the treats?

I'd really like to have an 'emergency drop/stop' command. Today I was in our local village park where I have only ever met lovely dogs when a young fella came in with his dog on lead. I happened to notice this and, luckily, Loki came when called and let me leash him. As the bloke walked past (as if I wasn't there) the dog snapped and growled really viciously. It was a worry because Loki tends to approach dogs and I really need him to stop for me, it was just luck that I noticed the guy come in as I ws watching my son playing at the time. He will wait when I call, which slows his progress, but he seems to think that when I come up to him it's ok for him to move again.

Sorry, this has turned into a really loooong post!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi,

How old is he? If he's still young then congrats, he's reached puberty.... and then for a while they have banana's in their ears, generally forget all they've learnt so far if it suits them... alot like kids really.... lucky thing... in dogs it passes much faster then with teenage children

But this is the time to watch them very carefully and to reassert your control over them.... so its back to the really tasty treats, being really really consequent etc etc..... plus... they're no longer puppies, so other dogs no longer think they're cute... be careful with dogs you don't know, and dogs you do know.... don't be angry when your own dog makes it clear that the other dog is doing something unsuitable by growling or air-snapping.... now is the time for them to learn how to show their limits without becoming physically aggressive....

good luck,

Claire
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks Claire - I wondered about that. He's 5 and a half months - is that about the beginning of adolesence? My baby!!

It hasn't helped that he;s been on a really restricted diet and I think he's thoroughly fed up with his bland prescription food.

I found some Wainwrights wheat/gluten free treats at PetsatHome today and we used those to train the 'down' which really helped. Hoping that his tummy will settle soon and I can start using smellier/tastier treats, but at least he loved his Wainwrights!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi Suzy,

5 1/2 months is a bit young for puberty but maybe he's "mature" But then again, my Tess is now 7 months and has had "banana" moments for a while already.... the most important thing is don"t dispair when he won't listen!!! He only a pup and the whole world is still very interesting... so if a fly/mozzie/bee/butterfly flies past while you're trying to get him to "sit"... guess where his attention will be? With Tess the best training moments are when she's already a little tired... her interest in the rest of the world wanes a bit, mum becomes more interesting and making mum happy is more important.... and then she learns in no time!

As for the right treats.... sorry, I live in Holland so no longer know what's on the market in the UK.... Tess, being a BC, hates any and all doggy biscuits ( ) and when she's not having an adolescent fit really loves dried chicken or tiny pieces of cheese... when she is being really banana's, the only thing that works as a treat is cooked chicken or small pieces of sausage.... .... but no, I really don't spoil my dogs at all

As for your question about longer-distance commands.... I'm no trainer myself but I think you need a bit of patience.... he's only little and at this point the recall command is the most important one to train train train if for no other reason then his own safety... once again, with treats he really loves... long distance sit, down, etc etc will only work once the short distance stuff is fully "programmed"....

but of course the most important thing is to just have fun with him! Don't forget, 5 1/2 months is "so called" 3 and a bit years in human measures.... just be happy he's (almost) potty-trained, eats what he's supposed to, doesn't fly into temper-tantrums, sleeps when you need him to etc etc.... and if he does listen to what you ask.... be really impressed!

Claire
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 09:39 AM
re distance control - (although TBH I wouldn`t be teaching it that young) - it just follows on from other commands. So teach a Sit with your dog facing. I add arm signals as well as that`s useful at distance (treat in hand, high and outstretched, bring down in front of so the dog follow the movement and say sit). When the dog has it just move a couple of steps away. If the dog moves towards you go back to doing it closely.
I`d only be teaching one `new` thing at a time.
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
re distance control - (although TBH I wouldn`t be teaching it that young) - it just follows on from other commands. So teach a Sit with your dog facing. I add arm signals as well as that`s useful at distance (treat in hand, high and outstretched, bring down in front of so the dog follow the movement and say sit). When the dog has it just move a couple of steps away. If the dog moves towards you go back to doing it closely.
I`d only be teaching one `new` thing at a time.
Thanks. I'll be patient , then! Need to practise 'stay' first.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I find it easier to teach distance work on a target mat, so they realise to work on the place

Also importand to make sure you dont just practise sits and stuff infront of you - practise at your side too, practise behind you
You can also practise with someone else holding her lead with you right beside her, then a tiny step back, a tiny step more

If you break things down into tiny tiny steps and make them really rewarding then you can progress fairly quickly

As for the other dogs, I would work on getting her to come back to you when you see another dog so then you can decide if she can say hello
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I know you can get one of those ground tether things so you can clip your dogs lead to it so he cant come running forward when you are trying to teach distance or you could just do it one step at a time and reward him by throwing treats near him so he doesn't have to come to your hand to receive them?
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Panda84 View Post
I know you can get one of those ground tether things so you can clip your dogs lead to it so he cant come running forward when you are trying to teach distance or you could just do it one step at a time and reward him by throwing treats near him so he doesn't have to come to your hand to receive them?
Loads of great ideas. Thanks guys.