Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
I know this sounds daft but here goes Manuka Honey my Dad suffer a lot from mucus/phlegm and since taking the honey he started with 2 x teaspoon daily, now just 1/2 a teaspoon in the morning (which he says clears the mucus) within half an hour. I started getting him the 24+ grade and he is now on 12+ and says it helps greatly. Dad is in his mid80's, and taking it for about 14 months now.
Thank you Kazz, again I'm not sure whether I can get that over here. I've been using the generic honey I buy in the local supermarket and have been trying honey and lemon this afternoon. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate you and everyone taking the trouble to reply.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 05:05 PM
I can sympathise as I am experiencing the same atm. I have ongoing problems with my sinuses.

It drives you mad!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Have you tried salt-water gargles Gill?

If you try the manuka honey, try not getting addicted to it.

You could also try coconut oil (great anti microbial) and if you're feeling brave, a neti pot (in case the infection is part of the sinuses).

A steam room might help as well.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Steam is great for loosening up mucus. And the saline sprays work well too for me if I've got any sinus problems. There's a lot of advice and demos on how to use a nasal spray properly.

I have to say I think you are making this 'lump in the throat' problem worse by inducing vomiting. If you've ever been violently sick on account of too much alcohol or nasty bug you often feel like you have a 'lump in your throat' afterwards.

There's some info here on 'globus' the sensation that you have a lump in your throat.
http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/pdf/Globus_dec10.pdf

My dad used to complain of the same thing, wailing that he couldn't eat or swallow anything. I got him to suck sweets that make your mouth water and that did ease his 'symptoms' somewhat.

Post nasal drip can give you a really dreadful taste in the mouth in the morning. But dry mouth can be caused by many things including sleeping with your mouth open. A lot of these sorts of conditions can be brought on by or made worse by stress. And it does sound as if you are really stressed out.

I think you should at least tell your docs that it is getting you in such a state that you are inducing vomiting.

The sensation you have a lump in your throat is, it seems, very common so most doctors should be familiar with it. And sounds as if yours have conducted the usual tests to rule out anything serious causing it.

More info here
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/globus-sensation
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Thank you for all your replies. I have booked a flight back home for tomorrow night, so at least I won't be here on my own getting more and more scared. Whilst I accept there's nothing seriously wrong it's very scarey and I need family support. Yes, I've tried salt water gargles - they actually made me sick!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I can sympathise as I am experiencing the same atm. I have ongoing problems with my sinuses.

It drives you mad!!
Sorry to hear you're in the same boat, it's relentless and scarey isn't it? Hope you get yours sorted soon. x
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
Thank you for all your replies. I have booked a flight back home for tomorrow night, so at least I won't be here on my own getting more and more scared. Whilst I accept there's nothing seriously wrong it's very scarey and I need family support. Yes, I've tried salt water gargles - they actually made me sick!
Have a safe trip back,think that's an excellent idea Let us know how you're getting on xx
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks I will x
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Yes you need the support of family at a time like this. If stress is a factor being on your own won't help at all.

Good luck NSG and let us know how you are getting on.

Safe flight x
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 08:39 PM
So pleased you are coming back to the UK Gill if only for support of your family.
Are you going to try and get some more investigations done over here?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >