Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2012, 09:51 PM

Grrr PGP(sometimes called SPD) again!

Went through months of hell with it last pregnancy - was on crutches from about 23 weeks, pretty much housebound toward the end of it... and yep, got it again, only 19 weeks in and I'm in an increasing amount of pain already, only can't fall back on crutches this time. Doesn't help I'm left with some permanent damage from it from last time with their manhandling of me during the last birth either.

Add in the "oh don't push hoovers, supermarket trollies or pushchairs" advice - so yep... how is my 7 month old meant to get ANY stimulation if we can't get out and about - not going to happen... oh and the bus route that runs up the killer hill which I rely on to cut down the walking with the buggy when it's really bad, has gone to utter unreliable hell lately.

Just flipping cheesed off with it happening again so early - even though I knew it was likely. Such a rubbish condition and the only real treatment they have for it is half a tonne of elastic (I seriously have so many support belts and bits of lycra - if I wear them all at once I start worrying that if I sit down too quickly I'll catapult myself off to the moon or something with the elasticity) and a nice pep talk.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Oh Dizzi that is horrible. I really feel for you. I have known some people who had this and had to use a walking stick - it is horrible.

Hugs.

With your 7 month old - I think when you can't get out your little one might enjoy lots of rolling/crawling around, maybe with cushions and tunnels (tables?), and play things like rolling balls. Even messy play like doing hand painting is good fun.

Do you have anyone who could visit or who you could visit for extra play?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Hi Dizzi my DIL had that when she was carrying the twins and spent a lot of her pregnancy on crutches . She used to cry with pain. I had no idea pregnancy could be so painful .

I really do feel for you...
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the sympathy guys - I guess I don't "do" pregnant very well - I either miscarry, or I get this and then the whole prematurity thing last time as well!

Suppose I should count my blessings that prematurity means my 7 month old is still quite firmly in the "stuck still where you put them down" age bracket!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Do you remember Pidge who occasionally posts here? She is in her 8th month and is suffering exactly the same.

You poor thing Take care.
AliStarfish
New Member!
Female 

29-11-2012, 10:14 PM
You poor soul. I had it in my second and third pregnancies, just the elastic hip band in the second and crutches in the third. I did laugh when they told me to lie down on my side with pillows between my knees for at least half an hour three times a day. With two pre-schoolers at home???? It is awful. I was allowed co-codamol four times a day and while I hated taking them when pregnant they did at least offer some respite. It affects every part of life too, just rolling over in bed is impossible without a crane.

I really feel for you and wish there was an easy answer to get through the coming months.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 12:20 AM
I had SPD with Oscar. I was already on and off crutches thanx to a dodgy left knee .

I had no idea there was such a condition until I was diagnosed with it. There isn't any warning for it for pregnant women and I think there should be. Or the medical profession should try to find some way (preferably without having to take drugs orally) to reduce the amount of relaxin you produce for 9 months, which in turn would reduce the elasticity/floppiness of the ligaments, which in turn would prevent the gap appearing at the front of the pelvis, which in turn would me much less pain. Maybe that's wishful thinking though.

I can only say I feel for you. I found that it didn't matter whether I was standing, sitting, lying down etc nothing eased it off. And moving about made it worse.

I know it's easier said that done but try to rest as much as you can. See if you can have family help with your little one and ask friends/neighbours/family to walk the dog if you can.

Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy and I hope it doesn't get worse for you xx
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Oh it's gotten much worse than it was - now at 22 weeks it's about as bad as it was when Erin was born (I was going to say "full term with Erin" but of course I never GOT there!)... hubby's doing all walkies - so of course the dogs are being allowed to turn into complete hoodlums, but there's nowt I can do about that one!

I even got stuck on the scan table the other week - legs locked up and I couldn't get down - scan was fine though - it's another little girl!

Vile vile condition and people just don't know about it until it hits a member of their family - my mum didn't even know it existed till I got it, then found loads of other people she knew who'd had it.
AliStarfish
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2012, 07:48 AM
You poor soul, it makes what should be a magical time absolutely awful. It takes over your entire life and makes the simplest task impossible.

Thinking of you!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Hugs, it must be awful.

BUT congratulations on expecting another little girl.