View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 09:24 AM
So where do you all buy it from to get a good high strength and how much is it. I would be interested in trying it on Kyiro's foot to get that to heal if it is that good and I can afford it.
At the rate mine damage their feet and have to have stuff surgically removed from them it may well be worth a try.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
So where do you all buy it from to get a good high strength and how much is it. I would be interested in trying it on Kyiro's foot to get that to heal if it is that good and I can afford it.
At the rate mine damage their feet and have to have stuff surgically removed from them it may well be worth a try.
Health shops should do it.

H&B have one that is 12+ and £23.39 for 500g.

The Sainsbury's one I got was 15+ and 340 g for £10 - £12 (can't remember the exact figure).

The Rowse one (also at Sainsbury's) was around £15 but is NPA (non peroxide activity) certified 15+.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Bev - I think if it's for external application, it won't matter so much if it's raw or not as the main thing you are after is the antibacterial rating.

I know the Rowse 15+ is good based on having used it myself (It costs about £15), but if that is out of your budget I would try the Sainsbury's 15+, but I haven't tried it myself yet - that one costs about £11.25 (I think I will get it after this jar runs out)

Lol, Linda - I'm addicted to the stuff which reminds me...

Are there any negatives of eating Honey?

The biggest disadvantage of eating honey, is that because it is sugary (although much better than processed sugar) it will feed candida - so make sure you eat some organic live yoghurt as well, as the probiotics will help keep candida at bay.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Also just out of interest, do you have any root-cannal fillings or veneers or other fillings?
No fillings at all Azz, my teeth are perfect, plastic but perfect.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Which strength should I get?

Natural Manuka honey does not get higher than about 15 to 18, possibly 20. The way they increase the activity beyond this is by processing the honey by heating it - however when they do this it kills the natural enzymes in the honey, so although on paper it is 'stronger', it is missing some of the other benefits of eating a raw 'living' food.

That's why you should always buy RAW if you can. However I have spoken to quite a few of the big companies, and although one or two say their honey is Raw, they actually use plastic combs - which some say can lead to toxic accumulation. Ideally you'd want a totally natural product, which is cold filtered, but I haven't seen a single company in the UK selling that.

Are all ratings the same?

Glad you asked that... because, NO! Make sure they specifically say it is a NON-PEROXIDE rating. Some of them say AA (All Activity) which is just not the same. Some also don't say anything - which I would avoid like the plague!
I have to take slight issue with the rating thingy Azz .......my honey, which I bought from the local delightful Apothecary Shop, is 22+ and is absolutely pure and natural New Zealand honey, with no fiddling whatsoever. It is also peroxide free etc. etc.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
No fillings at all Azz, my teeth are perfect, plastic but perfect.
That's cheating

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I have to take slight issue with the rating thingy Azz .......my honey, which I bought from the local delightful Apothecary Shop, is 22+ and is absolutely pure and natural New Zealand honey, with no fiddling whatsoever. It is also peroxide free etc. etc.
Do you know which brand it is Sally?

Here's a link to where I saw it being mentioned:

Originally Posted by Littleover Apairy about their 15+ Manuka Honey
This is our premium Manuka Product. The bees cannot make any higher activity level than the mid to high teens. Most high grade manuka has been artificially heated to enhance its activity to unnatural levels often destroying the goodness that people want. We do not try to artificially “boost” activity levels preferring to supply only honey in the way the bee’s intended.
http://www.englishhoneyonline.co.uk/...g/prod_25.html

Also, it did kinda make sense, as a number of the Manuka Honey companies I emailed said that their honey was heated as part of the filtering process - and I did wonder why they don't just cold-filter - as that will almost certainly fetch them more money (as cold-filtererd products are usually more sought after).

When I get five mins I will do a post about the manufacturing processes from each of the companies I contacted. Some of the conversations were 'interesting' to say the least
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 08:13 PM
That's cheating

Do you know which brand it is Sally?

Here's a link to where I saw it being mentioned:

http://www.englishhoneyonline.co.uk/...g/prod_25.html

Also, it did kinda make sense, as a number of the Manuka Honey companies I emailed said that their honey was heated as part of the filtering process - and I did wonder why they don't just cold-filter - as that will almost certainly fetch them more money (as cold-filtererd products are usually more sought after).

When I get five mins I will do a post about the manufacturing processes from each of the companies I contacted. Some of the conversations were 'interesting' to say the least
hnz
New Zealand 100% pure Manuka Honey
UMF 22+ non peroxide activity

It was rather expensive, I must admit!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
hnz
New Zealand 100% pure Manuka Honey
UMF 22+ non peroxide activity

It was rather expensive, I must admit!!
Can you take a photo of it Sally? I'm wondering which company makes it I did look on the website you mentioned but their search results didn't show any.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 08:32 PM

www.honeynz.co.nz/
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Which one of these sounds the best?

[1]
  • New Zealand 100% Organic & Raw
  • 100% raw, enzymatically active honey
  • Regenerative and health enhancing
  • Clinically researched
  • The finest New Zealand organic Active 15+ Manuka Honey
  • Scientifically verified 15+ activity level
[2]
  • Manuka Health New Zealand
  • 100% Pure NZ
  • Product of New Zealand
Given by Nature, Proven by Science
This MGO 550+ Manuka Honey has been tested and is certified to contain at least 550 mg/kg of dietary methylglyoxal, a natural compound found in significant quantities in only some Manuka Honey produced from the wild, uncultivated manuka plant in New Zealand. MGO Manuka Honey is a trademark of Manuka Health New Zealand Ltd.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »