Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Introducing a second dog

I am curious about experiences off adding a puppy when you already have a previous dog?

Will they have small fights over things?
Will that only happen when the pup is older?
Is there a chance they WON'T get on?

Etc etc
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I can only tell you from my experience.

Sadie welcomed Louie but would tell him off if his play got too far and grumbled if he went near her bone - which I allow, they shouldn't have to share everything - plus Sadie steals off both boys and they don't retaliate - if she does steal off them - I will take it off her and give it them back, as it isn't fair.

Benjie has taken a year to stop growling at Louie for just going near him, he still grumbles at him but it isn't nearly as bad as it was.

Sadie's owners got a Shih Tzu bitch and Sadie rather didn't like that and has taken longer to get used to her than she did with Louie - however I don't think it was a bitch/bitch thing, they have had her on her own for 9 years and then introduce a puppy.

It all depends on your dog really, I bring other peoples dogs into our home and garden regularly - afterall we pay the rent, the dogs don't and if we were to add another dog permanently it wouldn't be such a shock to the system.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 02:58 PM
There are no clear cut answers I'm afraid because it depends on the dog. Odds are, however, that if you have dog-friendly, well socialized, well adjusted dog without any major behavioural issues, they will be just fine and adapt without a hitch.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks both

We have only ever had one dog in this house - an 8 week old springer x pointer a friend was looking after, but no actual dogs.

He gets grumpy with one of next doors dogs when we go over there, but They had the female when I had alfie and we were over there a lot, they THEN got the male, and him and alfie don't fight, but there is sometimes a bit of snarling around, but they have always been slightly iffy with each other so I think that is more a personality clash as on the whole alfie loves other dogs.

ETA: the only other time alfie has growled at a dog, was when he was about 8 months old (he is 16 months now) and we were staying with my uncle with his beagle who was about 4 months old... and they played constantly for about 3 days and by the end they were tired and alfie had picked up a chew and charlie got too close and alfie "went" for him to chase him away. Again that was in THEIR house.

Apart from that 8 week old puppy we havn't had another dog over here!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Would you like to borrow Parker for a month? He fancies a holiday in Scotland and he likes little dogs very much!

We haven't got a puppy but Bizzy acts like a 8 year old pup. She loves Parker's toy box and is now lying beside him continually squeaking a toy. Parker is very mellow and is just looking at her but he really wants the toy!

He has a large wicker basket full of toys but they always want the one the other dog has got!

We never had this situation with him and Cherry as she didn't like toys apart from her ball and "lion long-legs".
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Well my parents have a bernese - he was 8 when I got my pup. Hes the most easy going dog so he didnt bat an eye!

He initially would hump her which made her grumpy. We got him to stop and now they get on fine. They are excited to see eachother but my little one annoys the bernese - she always wants to play and he just wants to snooze!

Try and make lots of dog friends. I make sure I got to other peoples houses or have dogs over to keep my dog social - dont want her developing the same problem with dogs as she has with people She is completley relaxed when we have the OHs dog to stay.

So overall I think it depends on the dog.. We havent had any issues where as others might have some grumbles as they are getting used to eachother and getting used to sharing toys, affection etc.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys!

Apart from the two times mentioned above, alfie hasn't so much as even growled at another dog... he loves all dogs and wants to play whenever he can

I just wasn't sure how common it was for the resident dog to get grumpy, or the second one when it is older!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Thanks guys!

Apart from the two times mentioned above, alfie hasn't so much as even growled at another dog... he loves all dogs and wants to play whenever he can

I just wasn't sure how common it was for the resident dog to get grumpy, or the second one when it is older!
I'm sure you would be fine. Before getting a pup I would try and invite a few more friends with dogs over maybe just so you can see how she copes with it if thats possible!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah it will be!
I wont be getting a second dog for at least about 2 years I think, so plenty time!

I would only be getting one when I move out... so will it help me having dogs over in here, or only start that when I have moved out?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Little One did not bother at all when I brought Pereg home - sort of looked at her as if to say "what on earth is that tiny thing" - but accepted her.

Initially while Pereg was so tiny Little One would hump her a bit to show she was the dominant one, then as Pereg grew and was the biggest one, she would hump Little One a bit.

Never any major squabbles although I did have to feed them in different rooms as Pereg would scoff her food down and then want to finish Little One's - they had different food - and Little One got a bit grumpy because she wanted to eat in peace.

My Vet said that sooner or later one would decide to be the dominant one and I think towards the end Pereg was a bit more pushy and dominant, but never anything more than an occasional minor squabble and complaint from Little One.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >