Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 09:25 PM

Scared tonight as strange dog in car!

We went to Hemsby tonight and walked the dogs along the beach and went to a field to play ball with Cherry and Parker. We got back to the car park next to the field and I was in the back of our car (it's a 3-door hatchback) harnessing Cherry and Parker in when all of a sudden there was a Black Lab in the front seat! I panicked and pushed it out as I was concerned there would be a fight break out (Cherry hates black Labs as had a bad experience of one and she is scared of large dogs anyway).

The owner's other 2 or 3 dogs were in a queue behing the Lab waiting to jump in the car too to say hello to Cherry and Parker!

I am afraid I lost it and told the owner off (he had been across the other side of the car park) as when I get scared I do tend to get angry and I hadn't expected people to let their dogs jump in my car.

Jamie said oh it's because his dogs are friendly and he's probably on holiday and has switched off but I do think it could be dangerous letting your dogs jump in people's cars when they have dogs in them as some dogs can be territorial and if there had been a fight Cherry and Parker owuld probably have come off worse as they were strapped in.

Also I am allergic to dog hair and Labs are quite hairy sort of dogs so it could have made me ill.

It was a shame as we were having a really nice outing before that-never mind! I tried to see the funny side of it afterwards-the dogs all waiting to get in the car, but it frightened me at the time.

Something funny happened on the way home as Jamie needed the toilet and the public ones were all shut in Hemsby so we pulled in to a layby. There were yellow warning signs on the trees and I thought they said about an electric fence so I warned Jamie to be careful. When he came back he said they were actually warnings that this area was being filmed by lots of cameras! Oops.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 09:30 PM
The one time I have been bitten badly was soon after I rehomed a dog and as I was putting him in the cage another dog tried to get in.................. needless to say I was not amused and in fact the wounds were so deep they were like artesian wells when I got home and washed my arms.

I went to the docs and insisted on some ABs the next morning from the triage nurse.

I have never seen that dog and owner again and I assume it was a visitor but if I did.........
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The one time I have been bitten badly was soon after I rehomed a dog and as I was putting him in the cage another dog tried to get in.................. needless to say I was not amused and in fact the wounds were so deep they were like artesian wells when I got home and washed my arms.

I went to the docs and insisted on some ABs the next morning from the triage nurse.

I have never seen that dog and owner again and I assume it was a visitor but if I did.........
Oh no-poor you! sounds really nasty.

I am sure these dogs were friendly but it's not a good idea to just let your dogs go wandering about other people's cars. I said to Jamie that if Cherry had have bitten the Lab I would not be paying their vet's bill!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 11:02 AM
That would have REALLY annoyed me too, and all hell would have broken loose if it jumped into my car, my GSD is very territorial over the car and she would not have welcomed an 'intruder'.
He must have had an idea his dog may do that, i know that my collies would most likely jump into the back of an open car(not to see other dogs, but it is sort of ingrained on them to jump into the car when tailgate is open), so i take measures to stop that happening...like putting them on a lead until away from the car park!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Mollie would get into anyone's car she isn't fussy who she goes home with at all hence you would never see her off lead in a car park as we know what she is like. Dogs don't tend to adopt this attitude late in life we knew within weeks of having her she would do it so hasn't had an opportunity since.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
That would have REALLY annoyed me too, and all hell would have broken loose if it jumped into my car, my GSD is very territorial over the car and she would not have welcomed an 'intruder'.
He must have had an idea his dog may do that, i know that my collies would most likely jump into the back of an open car(not to see other dogs, but it is sort of ingrained on them to jump into the car when tailgate is open), so i take measures to stop that happening...like putting them on a lead until away from the car park!
Yes I did think the owner was a bit dim for allowing his dogs to do that but he did apologise! (after I lost my top a bit I'm afraid ). I don't think Cherry even noticed the dog in the car-there are some advantages to her poor eyesight I guess! Yes I could imagine GSDs being territorial about "their" car-Parker is too.

Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Mollie would get into anyone's car she isn't fussy who she goes home with at all hence you would never see her off lead in a car park as we know what she is like. Dogs don't tend to adopt this attitude late in life we knew within weeks of having her she would do it so hasn't had an opportunity since.
No - someone might like to take her home with them! You have to be careful.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Years ago my brother in law & sister came to visit. My bro in law had just got the then children out of the car & into the house - driver door was open, bro in law was in act of closing the back door where children had got out. He got shock of his life to be greeted by a rather large Rhodesian ridgeback sitting in the drivers seat!!*

The dog absolutely refused to move out of the car & growled at bro in law as he had a not so good temperament no one liked to force the issue - he lived further up the road. A packet of cooked ham - supplied by my mother, coaxed the dog out - finally

Apparently he would do this if he came across an open car door

Years later we still chuckle about it but at the time it was anything but funny!