Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Advice on introducing dogs (urgent)

I visited my local farm where I was going to get shadow and instead of getting him, I've ended up bringing a 10 week old puppy back because he would have been put to sleep else.

He is a lovely pup but my current jack russell is very timid of him and tends to hide under the table or go out the room, the puppy just lies down and plays by me. My jack russell doesn't even come by me when the puppy is by me, there isn't any aggression just my current dog being timid.

any advice will be greatly apprechiated.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2010, 09:54 PM
As you've already brought the pup into your home the best thing to do would be to let them greet each other in their own time. Make your older dog more confident by giving him precedence in the house, feed him first, give him attention first and treats first so that he knows he is still top dog.

Try to be calm and confident around the dogs and don't show any worry because they will pick up on this.

Good luck!
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 09:54 PM
It it normally best to indroduce them in nutral grounds, is their anywahere you could go that is safe for the pup?

I'm asuming the pup hasn't had any vacsinations yet!
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2010, 10:02 PM
It will take a few days for your jr to get used to this little new thing, just make your jr feel special, put the pup in a crate or something simular and play with the other one, they will soon be the best of buddies, don't worry. puppy needs lots of sleep in between his feeds, I took my Jaz out on his own as per normal, when I got Kyesh, whilst he was sleeping, then when the time comes, they will be happy together. It is instinct to make a fuss of puppies, but remember your jr wasn't expecting this, shame about shadow though, he is gorgeous.
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
As you've already brought the pup into your home the best thing to do would be to let them greet each other in their own time. Make your older dog more confident by giving him precedence in the house, feed him first, give him attention first and treats first so that he knows he is still top dog.

Try to be calm and confident around the dogs and don't show any worry because they will pick up on this.

Good luck!
We do this already, just hope my JR starts to be less timid round him.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi,

Firstly, how old is your JRT? Is it a dog or bitch? Have you allowed the dogs time to get to know each other alone but supervise? by that I mean with you there in case something happens but not hanging over them.

Why did you bring home a different dog? Was it a puppy farm you were at? Why was he going to be PTS. What now will happen to the dog you should have had? How would you have introduced your JRT to the dog you should have brought home?

Laura xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Wait -- so you are getting a Border Collie puppy as well, or is the Jack Russell puppy instead of the Border Collie puppy? why was the Jack puppy going to be put to sleep? just a little confused about the situation.

As for your older dog, has he/she always been wary or nervous of other dogs? introducing another dog to a household is always going to be a big upheaval for the existing dog, especially an only dog. Try and keep your older dogs routine as 'normal' as possible, enforce lots of separate time (plenty of 1-on-1 time with both the pup and the older dog, making use of a crate as a safe and quiet space for the pup, etc.) and be patient. Most dogs will come around to the new addition with time. It can be difficult in the beginning but gets easier are more stress-free with time.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Heart over head no doubt.. Hope it works out well for you..
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

Firstly, how old is your JRT? Is it a dog or bitch? Have you allowed the dogs time to get to know each other alone but supervise? by that I mean with you there in case something happens but not hanging over them.

Why did you bring home a different dog? Was it a puppy farm you were at? Why was he going to be PTS. What now will happen to the dog you should have had? How would you have introduced your JRT to the dog you should have brought home?

Laura xx
she is 4/5years old and a spayed bitch, yes they have been supervised all day together and nothing has happened.

I brought home a different dog because he was going to be PTS because the farmer kept two boys back from another litter to keep but the dog I brought back wasnt up to his standards. The dog I would of had has got someone else interested who has placed a deposit on him.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Fair enough---I'd have probably done the same.

The pup is a bit overwhelming by the sound of it, make sure you give the JR time to herself and a safe area away from the pup.

When she does start to interact don't tell her off if she goes for the pup, there is a big size difference and she'll want to sort it out fast!

A crate for the pup would be a good idea, make it a nice area and use stuffed kongs etc in it.

Good luck---pictures please.

rune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >