Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 07:08 PM

Pushy parents - a danger to kids.

Well the ones I saw today were

I went with the dogs to a moto-x practice today, just planning on going for half a day, starting at seven , well it turned out that there wasn't enough marshalls for the day, so me and the dogs volunteered to marshall the beginner track, well it was all going great, and tbh most of the day there was only people that I knew, my two brothers (five and seven) and a family friends young boy (eleven), and they were pottering about at whatever speed they were wanting to go, and were happy, however after lunch a few more people came down, and one group of them was awful, they had brought their son a bike, and it was his first go on it, the track was a great one to practice on, it was just a B shape, the corners were wide, and it had a straight, everything was going well, I was also stood at one end with the flags, well this one boy got one, like I said it was his first go (I know this as they said it plenty of times) and from the minute they got on they were shouting at him, 'hurry **** up' 'you slow *******', 'get a move on, or we'll sell your bike and leave you here', I had to tell them on more then one occaision to be quiet, or leave, and they settled down, but the boy was petrified, I couldn't speak to him, he wouldn't slow down he crashed out a few times, as he had no confidence in the bike, but was trying to go fast to please him, and then when another kid fell I put up the yellow flag, and they shouted 'stop you ******* *******' at him, and the poor boy immediatly slammed on the brakes, and went flying into a bale of straw, at this point I made them leave, it was a track where young people were, and the way that they were behaving, and imtemidating their son was not only dangerous and upsetting to him, but to everybody else going round, and I told them that they can come back once they calm down.

A few hours later they did come back, the boy went back on the track, but they behaved even worse, at this point they were not only shouting abuse at their son, but my five year old brother, saying he shouldn't be on the track as he was so slow, so at this point I got the owner down, and they had to leave, thankfully JJ never heard them, as he was concentrating on riding.

The thing is though that there is other people like this, theres no denying that this sport is dangerous, and a child has to be confident in what they are doing, and have build up the level of their ability to ride before going fast, but so many people expect their children to go top speed, one was a five year old who was put on a pit bike, and expected to go round the track that the adults are going round, although more able riders can do this, its not fair to allow such a young rider who has limited confidence to do such a thing, when there could be thirty other riders, falling off is scary enough to them, let alone when there is other people still going past them, so what are people thinking, and many of the parents don't even ride either but in doing the things that they are doing and how they behave they are increasing the chances of their children getting hurt, and IMO its at their own hands, and they are responsible, but they don't see as that, its so sad I mean just today with the adults there was one guy taken off in a ambulance, and another taken in a air ambulance, does that not hit home as to how dangerous it is?? Espcially as many buy their children powerful bikes already, and then make them even faster, the children have no idea how to control most of them in many cases, but when you see people who slow the bikes down, the children are more confident, and ride better, and because of this often faster anyway.

In saying this though I am not agaisn't children riding bikes, as long as safety is taken into consideration, as many have fun, and they learn and gain so much from it, but I do have a problem with many of the parents of these children.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 10:12 AM
They are just nasty some parents, my youngest aged 8 plays football and some of the parents are just appalling. The clubs now have to ask parents to sign an behaviour agreement because of fighting and shouting abuse and thats the parents ! no wonder kids behave the way the do when the parents have no idea how to behave.

They should have practised with him anyway before taking him to a track, i feel very sorry for the poor boy. It will probably put him off from doing it altogether.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi,

I think there are certain "types" of parents who behave this way. I've seen it where Oscar plays football, adn that's just ona Saturday morning practice session (not a match) inside a sports hall!

I tend to dissasociate myself from them but where bad language is concerned, I will speak up. I point out to people that my Son is 5 years old, does not knwo any bad language as yet and I don't want him learning it at such a young age. Usually I get apologies from people stating they were getting worked up and excited.
But that's not the point IMO. Does that mean they use that sort of language and behavior in front of their own children at home, or when out and about in pther places where possibly other people would be too afraid to speak up?

It's disgusting as far as I'm concerned. I always cheer Oscar on and no matter how badly he seems to have got things, I always tell him he did really well. I always provide positive encouragement (in fact, I suppose I treat Oscar and the dogs the same in that respect - so I treat my Son like I treat the dogs! ) and he knows not to take any notice of anyone other than his coaches/trainers and me.

It's sucha shame for those kids who want to do something and try so hard to please their parents. I saw a programme in the early hours of this morning with kids who have been pushed since early childhood to partake in activities that obviously their parents didn't do well at. One guy even took his Sonout of school, was home schooling him (not a problem in itself) but for only 3 hours a day and then he was out playing golf for the rest of the day, every day without fail.

I think it's very unfair. Oscar plays football because he wants to. He goes horseriding because he wants to. If he doens't want to go, then he doesn't have to.

This year he wants to start training to become a junior dog handler. Fortunately I can help him more with that (so not so much money to be spent in teaching or training him) than with horse riding or football. He's decided, of his own accord, that he wants to be entered as a handler at Crufts next year because he wants to be on TV! (So look out for him )

Laura xx
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

I think there are certain "types" of parents who behave this way. I've seen it where Oscar plays football, adn that's just ona Saturday morning practice session (not a match) inside a sports hall!

I tend to dissasociate myself from them but where bad language is concerned, I will speak up. I point out to people that my Son is 5 years old, does not knwo any bad language as yet and I don't want him learning it at such a young age. Usually I get apologies from people stating they were getting worked up and excited.
But that's not the point IMO. Does that mean they use that sort of language and behavior in front of their own children at home, or when out and about in pther places where possibly other people would be too afraid to speak up?

It's disgusting as far as I'm concerned. I always cheer Oscar on and no matter how badly he seems to have got things, I always tell him he did really well. I always provide positive encouragement (in fact, I suppose I treat Oscar and the dogs the same in that respect - so I treat my Son like I treat the dogs! ) and he knows not to take any notice of anyone other than his coaches/trainers and me.

It's sucha shame for those kids who want to do something and try so hard to please their parents. I saw a programme in the early hours of this morning with kids who have been pushed since early childhood to partake in activities that obviously their parents didn't do well at. One guy even took his Sonout of school, was home schooling him (not a problem in itself) but for only 3 hours a day and then he was out playing golf for the rest of the day, every day without fail.

I think it's very unfair. Oscar plays football because he wants to. He goes horseriding because he wants to. If he doens't want to go, then he doesn't have to.

This year he wants to start training to become a junior dog handler. Fortunately I can help him more with that (so not so much money to be spent in teaching or training him) than with horse riding or football. He's decided, of his own accord, that he wants to be entered as a handler at Crufts next year because he wants to be on TV! (So look out for him )

Laura xx
I think they speak like it as a matter of course tbh, you hear it all the time but i am the same as you i say something, most of the time i get abuse back. People seem to think everyone talks like it and its acceptable.

My husband sometimes takes our son to see our local football team play but the last time her went the swearing was so bad he emailed the club and told them he wouldn't go back until it had been addressed. It wasn't the spectators it was the players swearing. I thought they were trying to encourage families to support football but this will put people off.