Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2014, 01:58 PM

Dogs licking people - sweet, or gross?

Just wondering everyone's views on this. I was on YouTube and I saw dogs licking babies and young children all in their faces and I just thought to myself "Yuck!!"

When Nigredo tries to do this with children, I always make him stop right away and get the children to stand up so he can't lick them in the mouth.

I tell them "Don't let him lick you in the mouth, his mouth is nasty" and I make sure he cuts it out. I tolerate it a little bit... but like in the mouth area? No way.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2014, 02:02 PM
I have one very "lickey" dog, and one that doesn't. For the one who likes to lick, she's not allowed to lick faces ( as she has a habit of wanting to lick your mouth! ) and over the years I've also taught her a "that's enough" command, so when she's slaking your hands/arms she will stop when you want her to, otherwise she'll get carried away. Do I find it gross? No, not at all. But I don't appreciate being licked on the face. Although my sister's little dog will plant a kiss on the tip of your nose if you shove your face in his
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2014, 02:11 PM
I've got no choice, I've got a lickey dog. Would be too much hassle and too much effort to try and get her to give it up, and I don't mind too much. Her favourite parts are knees for some reason and human faces.
Partly it's cos of her breed, they're known for being very sloppy and lickey, part of it is probably cos she was allowed to do it all her life.

As long as she doesn't lick my mouth I'm mostly ok with it (had to get used to it though lol) and she'll stop if I tell her to. When I've got people visiting me I always tell them to tell the dog to get off them if they had enough (she will climb on your lap if you don't tell her not to) or to turn away if they don't want her to stand up at them and to let me know if they don't like being licked (then I'll tell her to go to bed).
If they don't do that then she doesn't know they don't like it so she'll just do it!
And my rules are: if you don't like dogs, don't come visit!
And outside the house: If you don't want to be greeted by my dog, don't call her over!

Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2014, 02:31 PM
I do not think I have ever had a "licker". Pereg's idea of a kiss is to lightly touch the tip of my nose with hers.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the comments. I mean a little bit is fine. But Nigredo and my previous Lab mix Brownie would go right for the mouth and it was truly BLECH!!

What's more gross is some kids seem to find it just the most awesome thing. I'm almost panicked like "OMG EW, STOP NIGREDO!" and they are laughing and giggling like crazy.

Labradors seem to be overly "licky" dogs, as well as Rottweilers... and being kind of big and sloppy mouthed, just NO.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I do not think I have ever had a "licker". Pereg's idea of a kiss is to lightly touch the tip of my nose with hers.
Jade is like this. She doesn't SLURP you in the face... only gets very close to your face and touches her nose to your nose. THAT I'm fine with, but the licking all in the nose and mouth? IDK... I find it yuck.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Definitely not anywhere near the face! Don't mind too much anywhere else - as long as it doesn't go on too long!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Just wondering everyone's views on this. I was on YouTube and I saw dogs licking babies and young children all in their faces and I just thought to myself "Yuck!!"

When Nigredo tries to do this with children, I always make him stop right away and get the children to stand up so he can't lick them in the mouth.

I tell them "Don't let him lick you in the mouth, his mouth is nasty" and I make sure he cuts it out. I tolerate it a little bit... but like in the mouth area? No way.
Neither really, just normal dog behaviour!

As long as the dog is wormed regularly, there probably isn't much harm in it. Personally though, I do not allow Ben to lick my new grandson. I don't freak or panic if he tries to, I just gently say no to him. I cannot stand flapping mothers who have hysterics because a dog has dared to so much as look at their precious brat - and I would include myself in that if I ever found myself flapping!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Diesel my staffie would lick me to death given half a chance, I tell him to stop and he moves on to licking the sofa, my jeans the carpet etc. He's coming in handy at the moment, because Rio is eating off the conservatory floor I send him in when she's finished to clean up before I get the mop out. The Pugs lick a lot but nothing like him, they lick me when they get excited, when I come in or when they get up, it's a form of greeting. The Dobermanns don't lick but I did teach them give us a kiss, where I kiss the top of their head and they touch my cheek with their nose.
I wouldn't encourage any licking of mouths.
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2014, 04:18 PM
I also have one licky dog and one not
Persia is far too snooty to lower herself to lick a human but Prince is a soppy sausage and loving licks anyone that will let him
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >