Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Squitty Bum Disease.......

I've never really had dogs that have had a problem with squitty bums (except Pickles, but anything went with Pickles! ), but it appears Isla has a rather serious dose of the squits.

She's not been quite right since I picked her up from my parents on Thursday night. Most nights she's had me up at least every two hours running outside for her bottom to explode. She's struggled to hold it in if I'm not about and has had a couple of accidents in the kitchen, poor girl.

She vomited on Friday night, but has kept everything down since then. I put her on scrambled egg and boiled rice for the last couple of days and I wanted to try and build her back up to raw tomorrow, but my Mother has taken decision to feed her raw pork this evening! Not what I would've done, but hey ho!

Anyway, things look to be improving she's only asked to go out once over night last night and is currently lying upside down on my bed snoring. If she's still exploding tomorrow I think I'll contact the vets (I haven't felt this necessary as she's kept most of what she's eaten down and her colour has always been lovely and pink), but I was just wondering if there's anything anyone would've done differently with more experience of the canine squits?!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 08:24 AM
I would have done the same as you, hon.

However, I would have avoided raw pork.......

Hope Isla feels better today

x0x0x
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 09:01 AM
poor girl, hope she's better soon, big hugs
I keep some probiotics in for emergencies, I find the protexin bio premium granuals help to clear dodgy bellys along with bland diet, I get mine from vetuk website
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 09:53 AM
We had the same problem with Corrie our youngest collie she was about 7mths at the time we knew the cause she had pinched 1lb of raw sprouts it took us about a week to sort out the exploding bottom. We did however take her to the vets about day 3, she wasnt ill at all, still wanted food (kept her on chicken and rice) she was given ajab to help reduce the inflamation on her guts and put on pro-biotic but it did take over a week before we got a proper "poo"
Good luck hope you sort it soon

Jeanette
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I would have done the same as you, hon.

However, I would have avoided raw pork.......

Hope Isla feels better today

x0x0x
Well indeed, my Mothers reasoning was she wanted to give Isla's stomach something different? Exactly what you want when you're ill, I don't think so!

Originally Posted by Fred&Mya'smum View Post
poor girl, hope she's better soon, big hugs
I keep some probiotics in for emergencies, I find the protexin bio premium granuals help to clear dodgy bellys along with bland diet, I get mine from vetuk website
Thanks for that, will have a look into it.

Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
We had the same problem with Corrie our youngest collie she was about 7mths at the time we knew the cause she had pinched 1lb of raw sprouts it took us about a week to sort out the exploding bottom. We did however take her to the vets about day 3, she wasnt ill at all, still wanted food (kept her on chicken and rice) she was given ajab to help reduce the inflamation on her guts and put on pro-biotic but it did take over a week before we got a proper "poo"
Good luck hope you sort it soon

Jeanette
Thankfully Isla is now back to normal, she produced her first normal poo last night! It was blissful not to be woken up every couple of hours over night for the first time this week.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 01:57 PM
aw that's great news!
perfect normal poos are great aren't they!!