Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2014, 09:21 AM

Bad dog owners

For years I have had problems with someone up the road that will nt walk their dog on lead. Every time it sees Ben it charges down the road and attacks him .I have on numerous occasions politey asked them to walk their dog on lead as now Ben is very reactive when he sees that and now other dogs .The last attack caused an eye injury on Ben.Yesterday they were walking their dog past our house while I was working in the garden and up the road they came with there dog off lead.I made a remark about their dog not being on lead and as he was really arrogant I completely lost it(something I am not proud of)and we ended up have a blazing row with me using language that shocked even me.I have to be honest given up and nw rush between my house and the field down the road praying I don't meet them.Sorry I think this is an off load rather than hoping for a solution.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Hi Bev I would be angry too. Not only are these peple being selfish they are being very unkind to their dog who could get into all sort s of trouble off lead.
If it were me I think I would inform the dog warden as I am pretty sure that it is illegal to walk an off lead dog around the roads.
If you give the warden the approximate times of when it happens they will keep a look out for them.
Good luck
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Lots of things going on there that have been legislated against. Ring your local dog warden and explain what's going on and your concerns. As the owner of large dogs myself I understand how you feel when constantly confronted by off lead dogs that know no boundaries with an owner similarly disinclined to listen to a polite request to control their dog
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Been there and done that! I utterly sympathise with you.

Do you know where they live? Try to contact other dog owners whose dog has been attacked. You can report them to the warden , I'm not sure how much s/he can do but they could give him a warning. The laws have changed recently , if you feel threatened by the dog , even if he doesnt hurt you , you can report it to the police.
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the advice .Do you know where I can look for a summary of the new legislation as everything I find doesn't mention dog on dog attacks
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Just a thought, did your dog receive veterinary treatment for the bite on the eye. I had 9 years of this with a collie that lived nearby, it has made my two older girls extremely reactive to any collies they see and I got to the stage of being afraid of going out of my back gate with them https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2014, 12:08 PM
There is a blond long-haired medium-size dog [no idea what, if any, breed] that belongs to someone up the road. It is always wandering around loose and has a nasty habit of stopping to have a go at Pereg if she is outside.

On Saturday afternoon I heard it snarling at Pereg - she was barking, hackles raised, tail straight up - telling it to go away. It had its front paws in the yard - was maybe a metre away from Pereg who was, as usual, on her tether. The noise was horrendous so I plonked outside and it really had a vicious look on its face - not just a "handbags at dawn" expression - but it went away when I yelled at it to go away. Only then did I notice that there were two young men standing outside my neighbour watching - and when I yelled at it it decided to join them.

A while later the dog was outside snarling at Pereg again so I went out again and the two men just stood there watching. So I told them they should control their dog, at which point one of them bent down, grabbed the dog's collar, hit it across its head and dragged it off.

What on earth do you do with people like that?
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2014, 12:52 PM
yes Ben did go t the vets about his eye and its not as though we are asking them to chop their dogs legs off just put it on a lead.Their house is stood in grounds of about 6 acres so its not as if they don't have anywhere to exercise it off lead.Thanks for the link
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-12-2014, 01:15 PM
OK thats good because you have documented evidence that their dog has caused your dog harm in that he had to go to the vet. I was always being told 'she doesn't like being onlead' well I don't think mine are keen, especially when being charged at every time they go out!!! Sounds a horrid thing to say, but when I was told she'd been pts due to cancer it was like someone had lifted a ton weight off me. Ring the council today, there may well be someone in the Dog Control Office who will speak to you, remember to mention about the eye and the vets bills as they should be paying that.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I'd not tolerate this for a second. You're nicer than I am. My neighbors have a Yorkie who they let run all over the place. If he wasn't just the sweetest most harmless thing, he'd have been gone ages ago.

He irritates Jade a tad, but he avoids her and the yard when he sees her. He's nice to our cats and Nigredo (my male dog) and him are grand buddies. He lets us pet him and everything.

But if he ever attacked and injured a cat or any dogs or people here, he'd have been taken to the pound after I called animal control. The owners are trashy type people that I avoid, but I'd confront the owner if I had to.

People here can be nasty, though. They will poison your dog (happened to a Rottie I had), or steal it (mega easy when you let it run all over) and drop it off somewhere far, far away and you'll never see the dog again.

My old neighbors had a barking dog they kept tied up behind a small crappy enclosure. It hated being outside all the time and always barked. Was a sweet dog, just a barky one.

One day, they returned home and the dog had been hung to death on the fence by the collar, clearly deliberately done because the tether and everything had been undone and the fencing was left open etc. Nobody knows who did it, but it was a vicious thing to do.

Then of course if you have a dog that attacks (especially a smaller one like a Chihuahua), many people will kick your dog to the other side of the neighborhood, and there won't be anything you can say about it. I've seen this, and dogs badly injured by being kicked as hard as the person could.

Sad stuff but if you don't keep your pet properly restrained, there isn't a lot of blame you can place on even cruel people who go father than necessary.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >