Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Our water butt

Or not in my case. I couldn't fathom out why it had stopped filling so decided to investigate having never really looked since we have been here as it worked in the past

so I decided fix it or scrap it. First having got the steps out the gutter was chock a block not only with tree debris but those fine bits of dirt.
So out with the Skyvac and gutter cleaned but the protector cone over the downpipe , well it didn't for those small bits.
The down pipe was clogged up as well, so another sktvac cleaning job.

Erm it was worse than that, Oh yes, eventually I took the whole thing apart, even took down the water butt.

The part that deflected the water into the butt (in the downpipe) was clogged up so a hose job to clean it. Then that flexible hose to the butt itself was also clogged up and needed a rod down it to clear then hose job to wash it through
OK now everything cleaned and washed out, even the butt while it was down. now for reassembly and test

Yippee poured into gutter and watched it go into the water butt, job done
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Hi Barry, yes it's very satisfying when you can get everything working the way it should

We have a water butt exactly like yours and I have also mounted it about the same height (To get the pressure)

I don't have any special filter thing so I crunched up some chicken wire and put this at the top of the pipe where it joins the gutter. It's not perfect (some small debris still gets through) but it's better than nothing.

Mine also had a crack on one side which I've repaired.

Now all we need is for some rain to fill the darn thing
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2018, 07:10 PM
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Now the vine is cut back I can show better how I joined up two gutters.
Not that hard just needed the brown one to slop the other way and put a stop end on one end. Next was to join two right angle gutter sections with a bit of cut down spare gutter I had to the right length.
Also had to cut a notch out of the trellis top rail to get the fall for water more or less correct

The photo shows what I did. now I have more than doubled the amount of guttering, which was really necessary as the roofs are only small. So increasing the gutter length now ensures the water butt is always full.
Well at least it works
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2019, 06:31 AM
Ah but only if it rains. I do admire though your tenacity at tackling things.