Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2014, 01:05 PM

Abscess on gum above broken tooth - child

My 3-year-old complained of pain around his lip area the day before yesterday and I found what I hoped was an ulcer in his gum but suspected an abscess. The dentist confirmed it today and has give him antibiotics.

The problem is, it is in the gum above his broken tooth so infection must have got in via the tooth and now the dentist wants to remove the tooth to stop further problems. It seems there is no person in this area who can administer a sedative so it will have to be done in the chair or in hospital with a general anaesthetic.

I feel sick when I think of either option. I'd rather they just left the tooth alone but I suppose it could lead to further infections because it is broken. I said I'd pay for a private sedation but I don't think that's going to be an option.

And I never thought to ask what could happen to his other teeth if there is a gap - I don't know if they could move and his adult teeth might come through strangely?

Do abscesses return? I feel so bad, even though she reassured me that his teeth are very clean and it was unavoidable because of the broken tooth.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2014, 02:43 PM
My worry there would be if the tooth is left alone and the infection comes back,it could spread to his other teeth I'd doubt if the gap would effect his adult teeth but even if that happens LS,braces will fix that.All the size of his wee teeth it'll be over in seconds..bless him...you'll just have to promise him something fab on the way home I reckon
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks Eileen - I bought him a car today just for being brave to let them look at it. I think the option may well have to be at the dental surgery - I don't want to put him through a GA at his age for one tooth. Mind you, I know someone whose 5-year-old had to have four teeth removed under GA (because of decay) because she wouldn't let them near her at the dental surgery.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2014, 02:56 PM
I take it the dentist will remove it once the abscess is gone.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2014, 03:36 PM
If you were to leave the tooth the abcess would return and the problem is it eats away the jaw bone so the adult tooth wouldn't have a secure root. My eldest had a front baby tooth knocked out at nursery when he was 4 and he was left with a gap for years but his adult tooth came through perfectly straight. Although everyone's mouth is different and he may have wonky teeth anyway but that specific tooth shouldn't be any different to the rest.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Aww poor Michael.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Poor little Michael, he's having a rough time with his teeth, I'm sure he'll be fine and it'll be over with quickly.
Personally I'd be going the GA route in hospital, he will be asleep and know nothing about it
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Thanks Shirley, I definitely don't want that to happen.

She's trying to find someone who might be able to sedate him and ringing hopefully on Monday if there is any news.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Aww poor little Michael. I don't think there will be any bad effect on his adult set LS.
I've only had an abscess once, it was horrible, I hope Michael is all back to normal...although with a gap......very very soon. It's always worse when it's your child isn't it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Too true Gillian.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >